Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

I think I want my IC-7610 back!

Huskerbobe
Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Maestro
From the conversation on this list and my own problems with the Maestro and the Flex 6400, I think I want my IC-7610 back.  My Maestro looses connection with my 6400 way too much, and at the exact time I want to transmit or check into a net.  I am going to try the LAN cord direct between the 6400 and Maestro.  However, doing that I loose my internet access and updates until I change it back to do so.  Had my Flex 6400/Maestro for about two months and if I knew what I know now, I would not of made the change and spent the money to do so!

Comments

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    What is the purpose of this post?
    If you do not want to understand/learn/fix your communication issue, just get ICOM back.
    I run 6600 with Flex 6600 for about 9 month with not such issues.
    Good luck
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    I have not seen any posts that you are experiencing problems (this is your first post).
    Have you opened a Help Desk ticket with Flex? 

If you get the issue with the network fixed you will then be able to really enjoy what the Flex and Maestro has to offer.

• mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Try V2.49 less disconnects than version 3
  • Kevin J. Darrah
    Kevin J. Darrah Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The more experiences I have with my 6400... The more I wished I would have never bought the **** thing either. 
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    To be fair, we won’t know about how well the K4 will work until the end of this year at the earliest. Elecraft has a long way to go with K4 software development. I am watching Elecraft closely. BTW- The new Yaesu FTdx-101D has confirmed transmitter overshoot problems. I own a 6600M and feel that even with it’s many flaws the radio is ahead of the curve compared to recent competition. No a Flex fanboy by any means. Just an educated consumer.
  • Steve
    Steve Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I always wonder, oh wait, I have seen people get pretty **** of with difficulties they are having only to find out it is "**** pit" error.  I have both the 6400 and the 6600 one on version 2.4.9 and one on 3..no problems.  Hope you get yours worked out.  73's
  • K0FLY
    K0FLY Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Very Interesting.  I don't run my Maestro much any more, however, I cannot recall when I had a disconnect when using it (6500 and 6600 radios).   I'm direct connected to the radio via a Link Sys 8 port switch, the Maestro is also connected to my home  wireless network.   The Maestro still phones home to Austin via the WIFI for updates  and controls the selected radio via the wired connection. 

Gayle K0FLY

• Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Plenty of opportunity for RF to get into LAN cables in most stations particularly if running hi power. My station is a long way from ground which is even more susceptible to RF issues. I solved them all by using optical cabling. Relatively inexpensive (<$50) and problems disappeared. Computer inside of radio box helps (MB1) no cables required but with reduced capability. The Flex 5000 was similar. Don’t know where most of processing occurs (radio/computer). Too early to tell about Elecraft 4 which is still mostly a paper radio until it delivers next year or whenever. Most of us are still in the learning stage of integrating radio etc into a LAN and the WAN/internet where hardware is in general not hardened against RF. Learning can be both fun and sometimes frustrating. Bob
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The MB-1 is made in  RUSSIA,, I dont think so!!!! I will stay with the FLEX USA version and the Software and normal hours of support... 6600M going strong after  one year...
    Robert
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Back to an 7610,,ouch!!!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2019
    MB-1 last software update April, 2018.
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I am still using v2.49 as that is what came with it.  With all the discussions on V3 problems I have not even thought about touching that yet.  I have read several possible solutions in this thread, that I am going to try.  I will report back when I get time to try them.  Thank-you, Bob
  • Tim N9PUZ
    Tim N9PUZ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I bought my 6400M last Fall and love it. What I can't understand is why the people who don't like their Flex radios spens SO much time whining about them instead of selling them and buying the Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu/Elecraft they are convinced is better.

• Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Dan, thank-you for reaching out to me.  We first had a ISP problem with getting some ports open. Michael helped me with that and it has been fixed.  After that it seemed to work ok for a few weeks.  I have not upgraded to v3, still running v2.49.  I have had problems the last few weeks, but yesterday during the morning nets the Maestro paused several times.  I was not able to transmit when that was going on.  Finally the Maestro shut down twice.  At that time I shut the Flex 6400 and Maestro down and finished the net with my old Icom IC-7600.  After I turned the 6400 on, waited for it to get booted up and then turned on the Maestro.  Same problems.  So that is why the frustration.  My post was obviously written out of frustration, and I apologize for that.  No changes have taken place that I know of between when it was working ok and when it wasn't.  I have not put any additional equipment on to load down my LAN.  Could the 6400 and/or the Maestro been trying to upgrade?  Could my LAN just be overloaded with other traffic?  Not to likely as I am the only one here in the mornings.  I have also noticed when I use my iPad over my network I get dropouts, but when I use it over cellular, they are much fewer.  I hope my problem is LAN and not Flex, but everything else seems to work fine on the LAN.  Thank-you, Bob
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Tim,  First of all I like my Flex when it works.  Flex has the best receiver that I have ever had.  However, I took a big loss selling my 7610 and getting the Flex 6400 and Maestro.  Money I will never get back.  I had NO indication of any type that I would be going through what I have gone through.  And I am obviously not the only one that has had problems.  So, if you would like to send me a nearly new IC-7610 and $1100, I will send you my 6400 & Maestro.  
  • Dan-N7HQ
    Dan-N7HQ FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager admin
    edited May 2019
    Hi Bob,  thanks for responding here and please, no need (ever) to apologize for being frustrated as a customer.   

I've had the good fortune to have a deep technical background in consumer networking and there have been plenty of personally frustrating times, despite my experience.  The bottom line is consumer networks is an absolute mess; increasingly so since it seems like just about everything has a Wi-Fi chipset in it these days.  I own a Wi-Fi enabled toaster oven that I can control with Alexa, for example. 

Amateur radio products are now more dependent on Ethernet networks (wired or wireless) than ever - and as Michael points out - networks are now critical shack infrastructure.  It does sound to me like your problems are network-related, and would like to arrange a time (off forum) to confirm that (or not) then come up with a plan to resolve the problem and hopefully end your frustrations. 

I'm traveling on business over the weekend but please drop me a note at [email protected]  or call my cell and let's see if we can carve out time on Saturday to run some tests. 

Dan Quigley, N7HQ
    FlexRadio Systems
    [email protected]
    Cell: 206-225-8008

• Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    The Icom 7610 is a very nice rig, as is the Icom 7300 that serves as my backup radio.
    But my Flex 6600 has capabilities that the Icom does not.  I like my Flex.
    I am keeping my Flex.   But choice is good, and if you like the Icom better, nothing wrong with that.

Neal
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Sell it and buy something else.    There is no one radio, or car, or house, that is the correct choice for EVERY consumer.   Life is short, buy what makes you happy.

For me, the 6600 was a great choice and I am enjoying it massively.
    For others, maybe the Icom or the Yaesu is their perfect choice.
    You have to wear the shoe that fits, not the one that your friends have...

Neal
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I have made cockpit errors with the 6400M  but not with the 7300. With the 6400M I power it up, go to the mailbox outside, read the mail and the 6400M is ready, with the 7300 I power it up take a breath and it is ready. There was discussion on the K4 and we will have to see if it works, my KX3 all worked when I got it and updates were free and none of the updates disabled previously working features. 
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I got help from Flex wow was it ever the best from Eric Wachsmann.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    They "whine" about them to make them better. When the K4 comes out the "whining' will stop as the "whiners" will vote with their feet.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited August 2019
    Try version 1.30 on 4/25/19 for software Dave. If your gonna post make sure you get it right. Next update will be out in a few weeks for MB-1 software. Also MB-1 is made in China like most of our stuff. Designed in Russia by same company that sells Sun SDR. There are a lot if amplifiers also using Russian Tubes. No one complains about that.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2019
    Bob, Are you using a cable modem by chance? Can you post the model and make? Reason I am asking is there is a known bug with the Puma 6 chipset in some modems which can cause high DPC spikes. Also, Another thing to try is a cold start of the Maestro. With the Maestro on hold the power button down. You will see a message to “slide to shutdown”. Continue holding the power button about 20 seconds after ALL lights on Maestro go out. Now turn it on and retest. If you only hit the power button momentarily to shut down the Maestro it puts it in a hibernate state. By holding the power button as described above it does a complete shutdown. Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2019
    Well. Their .eu website only lists 1.20. So if 1.30 is out I stand corrected and learned something.
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    there is always a market for pre loved radios!
  • Huskerbobe
    Huskerbobe Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Wow, Burt, Here is a quote from you on a previous thread:
    "How long are we required to wait to get what worked in 2.39 to get fixed after it didn't work in 2.49?"
    Look who is "whining" there!
    Oh, its probably not whining when you are saying it or have a problem!

Burt, I AM NOT WHINING.  Just have had way more problems that I expected with this new rig.  Most people that responded have made suggestions to help me, however you must be a very negative person to make your comment here and on the other thread I quoted above.  In the future please keep you negative comments to yourself.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019

Taken from a post published at my personal blog http://k9zw.wordpress.com 

---

Some takeaways are that FRS does offer exceptional help with stuff (LAN/WAN) that perhaps are in our operating environment but are really not part of the product they sell us.  I feel really good knowing that when one of my systems has a network fault that FRS has my back with their advice, resources and if needed their help.  

If you are involved in a typical office network situation, maybe with some licensed software and a server rack, I'm going to guess you might share my experience of vendors drawing a line at what they sell you, and telling you to have your IT people sort out problems coming from your network hardware/configuration/operating-system/server/failing-gear/overload/rogue-AV/and so on....

One that has caught me out with my FlexRadios is my expectation and assumption that everything stays the same, only to find out that external factors (like incremental software updates in other software/OS/hardware, reboots, or seemingly minor failures elsewhere) were the culprit upsetting my radio experience. 

---

Another takeaway is a personal tolerance for complexity.   We are all not ready and willing if we are ready to deal with the same level of complexity in hobby systems.  

I'll put up with a lot more complexity issues if it is a problem needing solving that affects me economically or if I see it as a challenge while I have enough available time to work it through.

So my personal ROI (Return on Investment) is a mix of actual economics and intellectual/emotive satisfaction.

How that works for each of us is different.

In my own case my personal-ROI on complex HTs is upside down, and unless I am really bored the HTs sit on the shelf.  As for walking through the typical HT 10 to 20 step programming sequences?  I don't think so.  I've given HTs to other hams who love them while my personal-ROI evaluation said "get this nuisance out of my life."  

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) really applies in a personal tolerance for complexity.  It should and it won't usually stay the same over time or during certain life situations.  

If you are the sort who might buy a radio, or an antenna, or a kit, and then bail on using it because of complexity issues you might want to line up some help before you try a radio-server system like a Flex.  

Steve
    K9ZW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.