How do you connect an external frequency reference to a FLEX-6000?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Are there any such indications for external disciplined sources?

Note: This topic was created from a reply on the How do I know that the GPSDO is providing frequency stability and accuracy for th... topic.
Photo of philip.theis

philip.theis, Elmer

• 112 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering / CTO

• 1030 Posts
  • 999 Reply Likes
Official Response
Phil,

On boot, the radio prefers references in this order:
1. External 10MHz reference
2. Internal GPSDO
3. Internal oscillator (OCXO or TCXO)

If the radio loses lock due to a reference disconnection, etc. the radio will search for any reference that will give it a lock. So if you are using an external reference and it is applied at power up, it will be used. But if you disconnect it, the radio will hunt for something else, find the internal OCXO/TCXO and then will lock to this reference. (I've attached the flow chart for those that are pedantically inclined)

Since this could be undesirable, provisions have been made to have a selection of reference. So you could select the external reference and if it goes away, the radio would just stop working until it was reapplied. The radio will not operate without a reference of some kind.

Today, the radio knows which reference it is using, but this is not sent to the GUI today. I would recommend adding an "idea" here for this purpose. We will be using the popularity of ideas here as input for the order to add features.

Steve