Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How to Operate Split in DIGU Mode

I am trying to work a DX station (VP6D) on RTTY. I clicked the SPLIT button, and a new slice was created with transmit active. As soon as I tried to transmit, the transmit function returned to slice A. I switched to slice B, which allowed me to transmit on slice B, but I could no longer receive on slice A.

I've operated CW and SSB in split mode with no trouble. In DIGU Mode, I just can't make it work.

How do you operate in split in DIGU mode?

SSDR 2.4.9
HRD and DM780 (latest version, whatever that is)

Answers

• Frank Kirschner
    edited October 2018
    I meant to mention, I searched the SmartSDR manual for "split," and there is nothing specific to DIGU or how to make it work, only CW and SSB.
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited October 2018
    I also tried RTTY mode, and it had the same problem. Transmitted only in slice A.
  • Ray
    Ray Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Sometimes I had to use Slice B to listen, move Slice A to my TX freq (swap positions of A and B), select TX on Slice A, and that worked, Why? It's a mystery. Hope I'm remembering this right....
    Ray N6HE
  • Ray
    Ray Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    OR you could just use XIT....
  • KP2L
    KP2L Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Just guessing here, but could HRD/DM780 be controlling the rig, and not letting you xmit on the other slice??
    Carl KP2L
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I just use XIT - I have the FlexControl set with one button for XIT - tap it, and dial in any offset I want.  Works for now, but we ought to be able to run split and have the DAX  follow the TX slice....  (My comments are based on using MMTTY or other 3rd party software - I have no idea about HRD.  Every time I ask them questions I get evasive answers, so have never bought.)
  • Tom Worthington
    Tom Worthington Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    For RTTY split, I keep slice A (DAX 1) as the transmit slice.  I add slice B (DAX 2) and edit MMTTY to use DAX 2 as the input and then tune B to the DX's transmit frequency.  That seems to work.  I have had trouble with getting XIT to go away after using it.  I usually have to resort to turning off the radio to get it to forget the offset.  I have also had trouble getting split to work with wsjt-x fox/hound mode and EME echo mode so I turn it off in wsjt-x.  Still learning about this fantastic radio and just 'discovered' the Auto Switch Tx feature in the CAT control panel so that may be the key to getting split to work.
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    To exit XIT, just click the X/RIT dropdown on the slice flag and click the XIT "0" button (to zero the XIT since next time it will probably need to be something different), and then click the XIT button to turn XIT off.  If you're using a button on the FlexControl, don't forget to reset that by clicking the main tuning button, or whatever you normally have engaged when not in XIT mode.  It's a lot easier and faster than trying to describe it!  That's what I do.  Always reset it so next time it behaves as expected.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    OK, everybody... Listen up! The solution to this problem is in SmartSDR CAT. In the COM port you are using for SmartSDR control from  your digital mode program, there is a setting called "Auto Switch TX". Turn this OFF and your split problem will go away. If this is ON, the rig will always go to slice A when you transmit, regardless of how you set TX on the two slices.

• Frank Kirschner
    edited November 2018
    Craig,

That fixed it! I had to adjust the DAX settings on the slice flags, but now everything works as expected. I had to disable Auto Switch TX in all the CAT connections, and the PTT port used by DM780.

Thanks. You saved me a great deal of frustration.

Frank
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited November 2018
    Thanks again. I just worked Z23MD on RTTY split. It's very easy to move slice B up or down to transmit while keeping slice A stationary for RX.
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited January 2019
    Now I'm trying to use Slice A and Slice B on the Maestro. The CAT program isn't needed or running. How do I keep the radio from switching to Slice A every time I transmit?
  • Lucas - W6AER
    Lucas - W6AER Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    My work around was to use GITTY on slice B to receive (can be anything that does RTTY but simple is good) and used DM780 to send slice A. 

Using XIT is nice to but I like to SEE where others are out of courtesy so I don't step on them as well as increase the likelihood of a QSO by using a clear part of the band. 

Having said the above, I do feel like there should be an easier way...unless I am missing something?
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Team !

my solution is very simple here:

1.    SSDR - > 2 slices, A&B with necessary bandwith required with  mode (ex BPSK63 - 100Hz)
    2.    Instance of FLDIGI , per silce A and B where always defined  necessary sweet spot freq per mode

recieveing signals on Slice A and Transmitit on Slice B

tuning with  mouse click  on SSDR window where in DIGI sweet spot=tuninng center = 1500Hz etc  for RTTY 

very easy and productive, always get adavantage of narrow bandwith  

• VE3DZP
    VE3DZP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Frank, just make sure in SmartCat that "AUTO SWITCH TX SLICE" is disabled. Fixed!
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited January 2019
    As I mentioned, I'm not running SmartCAT at all (at least, when I use the Maestro). I use SliceMaster to bring up the applications for each slice, and SM uses TCP ports, not CAT control. The problem is, I don't know where in SM to find the Auto Switch TX option.
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited January 2019
    Lucas,

That would probably work - transmitting on Slice A and receiving on Slice B. I'll try that next.

I agree, there should be an easier way. I should be able to bring up Slice B, have SliceMaster bring up the second instance of DM780 (which it does), and then transmit on which ever slice I want.  I'll keep looking.
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited January 2019
    That's what I want (except I use DM780 instead of FLDIGI). However, when I transmit on Slice B, the Maestro immediately switches to Slice A and transmits there.

There is a setting in SmartCAT for this, but with the Maestro, Idon't use SmartCAT; I don't even have it running. I was hoping there was a setting in the Maestro or SliceMaster fot this, but haven't found it yet.
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited January 2019
    Well, after about an hour of trying every different setting I could find, it seems to be working. I can transmit on both slices and receive on both slices, directly from the DM780 windows, each associated with a specific slice. I have no idea if it will work the next time without going through the hour-long process of changing everything. Here's what I did:

I set DM780 to launch When Active in the B slice in the launch tab of SliceMaster. In the Sync tab, under the B slice, I set On MOX to Keep TX Slice and Keep DAX as is.  In the B slice menu on the Maestro, I set DAX to 2. (I don't know why it's 2; it just works that way.) The HRD TCP Listener setting on the Sync tab under Slice B wouldn't allow me to set it to Enable, so I left it as is.

Making progress.
  • Frank Kirschner
    edited January 2019
    I forgot to mention one other step: In DM780, under the File menu, go to Identities and create a new identity for Slice B to use.  Then in SliceMaster, on the Launch tab, under the B slice, set the Identity to whatever you named the additional identity.
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Frank,

Using a different identity for each slice is important.  Slice Master should be preventing the same identity from being used by more than one slice at a time.  If it's not, let's call that a Slice Master defect.

Regarding your previous comment... the HRD Listener settings on the Sync tab do not affect the connection between the slice and a DM780 instance that Slice Master launches for you.  Slice Master creates a separate listener for each DM780 instance that it launches and uses presets for the options.

The listeners on the Sync tab are provided for programs launched outside of Slice Master. But note that most programs launched outside of Slice Master, wanting to control the radio, would probably work better if rather than connecting to a specific slice via the Sync tab, they connected to the special TX listeners provided on Slice Master's settings tab.  HRD Logbook, for example, works great connected this way. 

--Don

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.