How to add remote CW contest capability to Flex-6000 without a remote PC

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
Flex-6000 series is a great contest radio. However, when running contests from a remote location (without a remote PC) present SDR software cannot produce local CW sidetone unless you use the built in CWX keyer and NOT use a logger program to automate it all. Flex will eventually come up with a solution soon but till then we need a solution. The solution is the Remote Rig concept and allows you to get sidetone without the need for a remote PC. After more than 5 years of serious DX-ing and contesting I believe that being without a remote PC at radio site greatly improves durability and robustness of the remote contest set up. For sure in a 48 h contest is my experience.  

I here provide a link from my blog to show how to set up the boxes for this:
The set up can also be used for FT8 and no DAX-usage if you do not have the available data bandwidth at the remote location (as I have). 
Photo of Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP

Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP

• 128 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 717 Posts
  • 184 Reply Likes
Kari I send you a direct email with some additional comments and potential additions.
Photo of Ken Hansen

Ken Hansen

• 230 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
I have a Flex 6300 which I operate remotely from my garage over a wired network connection. Next to the Flex 6300 is my first HF Radio, an IC-7100 controlled remotely as well over the same wired network and a pair of Remote Rig boxes to put the control head inside the house. (I did this to add remote VHF/UHF operation to my remote Flex HF station.)

I can attest to the rock-solid performance of the Remote Rig boxes.