Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Future new user Flex6400

Laurens PD9X
Laurens PD9X Member ✭✭
edited January 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

I intend to purchase the Flex6400 as soon it is available in Europe. I doubt whether I will also purchase the Maestro.

I want to use this radio remote (internet), because my shack and antennas are few kilometres away from my home. I’d like to use the N1MM log program, but how can I all this set up?

When I use the Maestro and my N1MM computer at home, do I need also a computer near the Flexradio at my shack? what are the simplest possibilities in this?

My antenna is al UltraBeam with an AlfaSpid rotor, I also want to control remote. Is it possible to do this with the SmartSDR software?

I look forward to your reactions / ideas / suggestions

Laurens PD9X

Answers

• Laurens PD9X
    Laurens PD9X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Also interested what minimum internet connection speed need to control without problems
  • Laurens PD9X
    Laurens PD9X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Nobody?
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi Lauren,   I will try to get you started with answers I know so far from operating remote..  I can tell you that if you want to operate any Mode that requires DAX such as FT8 remotely then you will need a PC at the remote end and also a VPN established between the two locations to communicate with whatever server you use (I use Green Heron) to control your rotor direction and other antenna switching controls.   All your usual Ham programs, MMTTY, N1MM+ and regular logging software can be on your home located Ham PC.    Maestro will be required at home (and preferred by me) since you may want to use manual keying and this will allow you to hear the sidetone as you key at home and not delayed over the Inet.   I do not have a SteppIR or Ultrabeam but you can use the USB feature on the Flex 6400 to send Band info to the Ultrabeam.  It will just not allow you to retract elements, switch 180 degrees etc.  I am not positive but I think the program DDUtil will help you control the Beam and other things such as an Amp remotely over the VPN link.
    I have found that to have a single slice and Panadapter wide open (not throttled back) that I use about  7Mb of uplink at the radio end and of course the same coming in here at the downlink end.    You can get by with less by throttling back the Panadapter settings to use less bw but for an absolute minimum I would say 3-4Mb of up/downlink is needed to prevent choppy audio.  There is a lot more that can be added to your remote to control remote power on/off of various pieces of equipment and direction control of Beverages or other RX antennas but that is another story.
    Hope this helps a bit.  There are a lot of other remote users on this Community with some very good ideas on what best work for them and their situation.
    Regards
    Larry  k1UO
  • Laurens PD9X
    Laurens PD9X Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hello Larry, many thanks for your reply and good tips. It would be helpful for me to make the right choices
  • Laurens PD9X
    Laurens PD9X Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Today i ordered the Flex6400 and the Maestro. To be continued...
  • Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP
    Kari Gustafsson SM0HRP Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Hi Laurens. Here is my set up. Totally remote with no external PC at remote site. http://remotedxandcontestblog.sm0hrp.se/2018/04/02/my-remote-dx-and-contest-station-sm0hrp/ 73s
  • Laurens PD9X
    Laurens PD9X Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Hello Kari

That looks impressive! I am now the owner of the 6400 and Maestro, and try to understand things, step by step.

For me is important now, how can I use N1MM together with the Maestro on my QTH, now the 6400 is a few kilometers away. Preferably without using an extra computer on the shack side.

Suggestions?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.