Flex 6500 and DEMI transverter 70 cm

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I will be using a  L432-28 transverter with the Flex-6500
The Flex has the GPSDO option installed .

The transverter I have ordered has 3 methods for using a 10MHz reference:

1. Built in crystal oscillator.

2.  Built in VHF synthesizer locked to a 10MHz standard.

3. And the option to use an external reference which in my case is to use the GPS reference from the Flex-6500.

It seems that I may NOT need the transverter with the synthesizer option, since I already the reference available from the Flex 6500.

Am I right that having BOTH the built in synthesizer in the transverter and using the reference from the Flex is duplication and it is  not necessary to get the transverter synthesizer option?

Caution: I am a total Newbie and am prone to erroneous thoughts and dangerous actions!

Jim Lauridson
W3IPO 
Photo of Jim    W3IPO

Jim W3IPO

• 20 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jim    W3IPO

Jim W3IPO

• 20 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Official Response
Here is a reply I just received from DEMI tech support.  It clarifies my misunderstanding of the LO options for the L432-28 transverter:

The L432-28 transverter is available with two types of Local oscillator designs. Our standard and a synthesized option version are available.  The standard oscillator is a Xtal based unit that is self sustaining in that it does not require any frequency reference. It is stable and accurate for normal SSB and CW QSO's and is the simplest to use. It may not meet your requirements if digital operation is planned. The standard LO will drift because of temperature change as much as 400 Hz. during operation.

This is why we offer a synthesized version called the A32- option.  This synthesizer option is used in place of the standard local Oscillator and can be ordered with an internal 10 MHz clock but for the best stability and accuracy, it requires an external  10 MHz input such as from your Flex 6500.

The best possible performance than can be obtained would be the L432-28 with the A-32 option connected to your GPS 10Mhz standard.