Flex6700 + DEMI V/U & U/V satellite station

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
Hello!

I am in the process of setting up a satellite ground station for a university engineering club. This station is to operate in V/U and U/V modes, and it is based around Flex, DEMI, and M2 Antenna Systems gear. Below is a brief description of the hardware I have available, as well as a preliminary station connection diagram which I came up with. I am posting here to ask if anyone is able to spot any weakness in this design. Also, I would like to understand if I can rely on the RF SENSE ability of the VHF preamp, and run it with the LNA enabled inside of the 2MLDPA, or if I am better off otherwise - and what options do I have for that.

Thanks for your time!

'73

Levente
VE7BDK

Hardware:

Radio: Flex-6700
GPSDO option

VHF PA: DEMI 2MLDPA
75W output
LNA option
Common RF configuration

UHF Transverter: DEMI L432-28HP
50W output
PTT active low
Split IF @ 28MHz
Common RF configuration

Diplexer/Switch: DEMI DIPS

Coaxial Surge Protector: HyperLynk Technologies AL-NFNFB

Lightning Arrestor: in house
10x lines, 2x power for LNAs, 8x rotor

Power supplies: TBD at given specs

VHF preamp: SSB Electronics SP-2000

UHF preamp: SSB Electronics SP-7000

VHF antenna: M2 Antenna Systems 2MCP22

UHF antenna:  M2 Antenna Systems 436CP42UG

Photo of Levente VE7BDK

Levente VE7BDK

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Justin - KL2D

Justin - KL2D

• 95 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
Hi Levente -

This is almost exactly the same setup I have, along with a Yaesu G-5500 az/el rotator. Once everything is configured it works wonderfully, and I am using the pre-amp in the 6700 and no external pre-amps. That works just fine for SSB and FM birds, and the full duplex of the 6700 makes working sats really nice.

I think you will be very happy with this setup. There are several good threads on here about using 6700 for sats, that is how I got all set up and configured.

Good luck!

Justin
KL2D