Flex 6700 outstanding in WPX

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
My QTH is in Upstate New York. I'm running my 6700 into a THP amp for 400 watts out to a Hustler ground mounted 6BTV vertical,

Had a lot of fun during the contest.  I was able to pick up some good QSO's  including ATNO Tonga A31MM. Also ZL4YL , VK7GN, JH4UYB, JE6RPM, and a bunch of strong Russian stations. Japan, Hawaii and Alaska were coming into the east coast very loud. Lots of SA and a number of EU including Greece, Estonia, Sweden, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Moldova, Hungary, etc. 

While some ops were complaining that there was no DX I was making great QSO's. The signals on 20 and 40 were there. You just had to dig them out. My Flex 6700 came through like a champ!
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 259 Posts
  • 57 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Tony C kc2dis

Tony C kc2dis

• 74 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Pat, whereabouts in upstate NY? I am near Potsdam NY.
Photo of Pat N6PAT

Pat N6PAT

• 258 Posts
  • 57 Reply Likes
Webster, about 15 miles east of Rochester
Photo of Tony C kc2dis

Tony C kc2dis

• 74 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Nice to know there are other flex users up here!
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 854 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
You are so right, Pat. When you can see the signals over the whole band, and easily move to them, is where the Flex shines. I don't even like contesting with legacy radios any more.
Photo of WA5YOM

WA5YOM

• 47 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah...will have to ditto that....my 6700 did great this weekend....also, .....was raised in Rochester...but been here in Oklahoma since 1969....wn2gtq was my Rochester callsign...
Photo of Neal - K3NC

Neal - K3NC, Elmer

• 449 Posts
  • 134 Reply Likes
I am lucky enough to be on the Alpha team and even though I participated just a few hours, I was using the latest alpha release. Its always a risky proposition running a contest with alpha software but I can say the whole experience was exhilarating! I only operated on 40 and 20 since thats what I was sure would be the most used bands. The Steppir tracking via USB->Serial adapter from my 6700 worked flawlessly, as did my Acom 2000A with my radio. I did a bit of band hopping between the two and after 2-3 times, I stopped even looking whether my station was following my actions.
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 854 Posts
  • 210 Reply Likes
You are a brave man Neal! 8^) A pretty good test though.