Flex 6300 Transmit audio settings

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I am a long time Kenwood TS-870 user as we all know how the transmit audio is on the 870's!  I am using an Electrovoice RE-20 and want to get as close to the same quality/warm sounding xmit audio...recommendations?
Photo of John Watson

John Watson

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Don Stefanik

Don Stefanik

• 84 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I have the RE27ND on my 6300.
I get excellent audio reports.

VA3KBC

63:-10
125:-10
250:+2
500:-5
1K:0
2K:+8
4K+8
8K:0
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3466 Reply Likes
There is a procedure for setting your audio in the SmartSDR for Windows Software User's Guide that is very helpful.
Photo of KC7ES

KC7ES

• 38 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
John, How did you interface the RE20 to the 6300? Did you use a special cable designed to math the balanced mic output to the 6300 front mic connector?
Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 270 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
If I had to take a guess, he is using an external mic preamp. The RE20 (and 27 for that matter) needs a LOT of gain to get good hiss-free audio - more gain than I'm guessing the 6xxx can supply. 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3466 Reply Likes
Not true if using the 8-pin Foster connector on the front of the radio with the Heli cable for interfacing with a balanced mic (3-pin XLR).  The default mic profile settings for the PR781 provides a good starting point for a RE20.  I set one up for a customer a few weeks ago and only a minor tweak of the EQ and setting the gain level was all that was needed.
(Edited)
Photo of Don Stefanik

Don Stefanik

• 84 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
MIC GAIN : 40
PROC DX+
8 PIN YAESU HEIL CABLE. 
Photo of Rob Fissel

Rob Fissel

• 270 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Interesting, Tim. I've never come across a preamp that provided a clean signal for the RE20 for under $100. Nice to know that the 6300's mic preamp has some punch to it. 
Photo of John Watson

John Watson

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the input guys...no preamp used or needed. I am currently using the PR781 ESSB settings and am getting great results...if anyone else is using the RE-20 (not the RE-27) with different settings please let me know your view. I did bring the bottom end down to 30 on the ESSB settngs making it just a little warmer...