Flex 6300 17 meter band interference

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I am running a flex 6300 with software version v1.6.17 installed. I have started to get 20 kc wide
interference on my radio. Any help will be appreciated.
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 37 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 824 Posts
  • 168 Reply Likes
Do you have a second receiver to see if it's the radio or interference?
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 37 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I checked. Thanks
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1529 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
Looks pretty ugly. So, what has changed in your near-field environment? Air conditioning on for the first time this season? New electronic device somewhere? Solar installation? If you have a directional antenna, does it peak in a particular direction? Does turning the panadapter right-side-up help? (joking on that one)

Good luck -- please report back, we all can benefit from noise signature identifications!
Photo of Duane, AC5AA

Duane, AC5AA

• 382 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Good, now I'm not the first to suggest the rig is upside down! Seriously, it does appear to be a very local source of noise. Can you hear it on a portable radio such that you can try to isolate it?
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 37 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I ordered a portable shortwave radio. Let you know.
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 677 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
unplug the antenna, what do you see?

73  W9OY
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 37 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I checked noise with a kx3 it was still there. Signal went way down when I switched to a flag pole vertical. I am using a Hex beam at about 40 feet.
Photo of KK9W - Steve

KK9W - Steve

• 547 Posts
  • 173 Reply Likes
Those Chinese Grow Lights!!!
Photo of Duane, AC5AA

Duane, AC5AA

• 383 Posts
  • 84 Reply Likes
Does it peak in a particular direction when you turn the hex beam? This might give you some indication of which direction to go (to send the police after the grow lights and what they're growing!)....
Photo of Don-KB6TSQ

Don-KB6TSQ

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I get a similar pattern when our washer is running...it is more periodic...my two cents
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 497 Posts
  • 93 Reply Likes
I have seen this on several Wall-Wart type or switching power supplies, Routers, Ethernet switches, anything with speed control and electronic switching or ballasts type lighting such as LED's, Florescent,  mercury vapor, grow lights etc.

using a laptop to run the radio and the Radio on Battery power directly connected to the laptop, kill the MAIN AC breaker to the house and see if it goes away, if it does then turn 1 breaker on at a time and see if it comes back on, if it does then unplug EVERYTHING plugged in on that Breaker and powered on, hopefully you'll find it or possibly more then one device causing this.

If you have close by neighbors it could be coming from there devices as well and good luck with that.

73's
Bret
WX7Y
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 37 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you,
Was trying to connect my flex 3000 but lost cabe to modem
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1529 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
Bret's advice is very good. You will have to hunt it down before you kill it. If you are lucky, it's in your house. KY6LA's slide deck on building a quiet station (search the Community) is a big help. 

A tricky thing is that noise is usually layered. Once you find the loudest offending source, there are almost always other sources you didn't notice waiting to spoil your happy dance. It's a process. Took me close to a year before I got all I could out of my house.
Photo of KM4CQG

KM4CQG

• 222 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
My Guess is a RV Converter that is putting out to much noise