Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

DAX icon disappears!

Options
David, KE5RV
David, KE5RV Member
edited March 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
DAX icon disappears when I hover the cursor over it in the Windows System tray. As a result, I am unable to turn on any of the DAX channels. Running Windows 8.0. This had worked previously but now it isn't. Have installed and re-onstalled 1.0.24 and SmartCat numerous times but no joy. Any ideas?

Comments

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Right click n your windows task bar. Left click on Properties. This screen will appear: Click on Notification Area Icons Check the box at the bottom that says "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar". Did that fix it? Mack W4AX
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    David, I have noticed that if DAX or CAT are closed, their icons still show up in the task bar even though they are not running. The icons do not go away until you hover over them. Have you tried restarting DAX? 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • David, KE5RV
    David, KE5RV Member
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Mack and Ray, thanks for your quick replies. Mack, when I execute your suggestion, all icons EXCEPT the DAX icon appear. When I restart DAX (Ray's suggestion), the icon does appear, but when I try to hover over it, the icon disappears. I have the luxury of installing SmartSDR on another laptop (running Windows 8.1) and DAX is working fine, but I want it to work on this other laptop. I really believe this is a Windows issue, but I'm not sure what is wrong. I'll keep playing with it. I've been checking the forums but haven't seen anything that resembles my problem. Thanks for your replies and I'm open to any other ideas!
  • David, KE5RV
    David, KE5RV Member
    edited May 2014
    Options
    There may be a quick and easier way to address this, but since this was a fairly new laptop with few apps and data files, I did a refresh and restore. I was having some other windows issues as well, so I thought this was probably the best approach. I finished late last night and started rebuilding SmartSDR by loading each release (1.0.0, 1.0.05 & 1.0.24) in succession. Each time, I uninstalled and reinstalled SmartCat. I also noticed that after each refresh, "ghost" virtual serial ports are loaded after each refresh. I believe this is related to the VSP Manager software I had installed previously when I was using this laptop for digital use with my Flex-1500. Even though I wipe VSP Manager, I still get these virtual serial ports loaded, including port 4. So I deleted them using Device Manager. I then loaded MixW and so far, it appears to be working. So I think the issue was due to a bad factory Windows 8.0 installation from HP since I have had issues doing auto-upgrades and have been unable to connect to Microsoft Store to upgrade it to Windows 8.1. And the constant reappearance of the old virtual serial ports whenever I reboot the machine. Sorry for rambling on about this but I wanted to put out what I did to resolve the problem. Thanks to those who responded initially.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.