Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CAT doesn't close when SmartSDR closes.

Michael - N5TGL
Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in
Since CAT doesn't close with SmartSDR, I usually forget about it and leave it running on my machine. I don't shut my machine down, I either force it to sleep, or it does on its own. So, the next time I sit down to operate, I launch SmartSDR, and HRD and it doesn't connect. Every time that happens, I have to close CAT and restart it. Then everything connects just like it's supposed to. CAT functionality should be transparent, like on PowerSDR. If the application has to be separate, then have it auto-launch and auto close. Having to manually open and close a separate app is like having a Rolls-Royce with crank windows.

Comments

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Hmmm, I don't agree! What if the radio is still in use with some other client - like an iPad application for example? For that matter, what if CAT is running on *some other* computer? I have a computer that controls my station - amplifiers, rotors, keyers etc. Its physically located next to the radio (5000 and 6700). CAT and DDUtil run on that computer. The CAT is connected to the radio - not the client. So if I use my iPad app (under development, see the iPad app thread), I can activate a slice or two on the radio and still have the CAT and DDutil respond to the radio changes. I can't speak to your configuration but I suspect the issue may like with HRD. When SmartSDR is terminated, the CAT is still connected to the radio. It faithfully works in my configuration recognizing changes from either slices opened from the iPad app or from SmartSDR when I restart it. I have DXLab running on the same remote computer mentioned above - it doesn't have any issues when I restart SmartSDR. Having CAT as a separate server is important. Stu K6TU
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I believe that the current version of SSDR CAT has a problem with reconnecting if the hardware has been rebooted without closing SSDR CAT. If I close SSDR and shut dwon/reboot the hardware, then after I restart SSDR, SSDR CAT and direcxtly attached logging program do not follow the radio... I think if SSDR CAT knew how to recover gracfully, then there would never be a reason to close SSDR CAT. AL, K0VM
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Al, Good point - I'll have to try this when I get back home but I don't remember having to restart CAT after booting the radio. Perhaps this is a new behavior - either way, it should indeed seamlessly restart! Stu
  • BobT
    BobT Company Adviser
    edited August 2013
    What Al describes is correct and the problem is under investigation. Also, what Stu says is correct, CAT doesn't know SmartSDR exists, it is a client of the radio. Starting and stopping SmartSDR doesn't affect the connection to a third-party program and communications continue when SmartSDR is restarted. Communication is only broken when the radio is rebooted. I'll let you know what I find. BobT
  • BobT
    BobT Company Adviser
    edited August 2013
    All, I found the problem this morning and fixed it for the next release. I had failed to reinitialize the slice event handlers after a radio was removed and restarted with CAT running. As a result, no slice data was being passed to CAT. Thanks for the great input. BobT