auto tuner question 6400M

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
OK.  I have a Als 600S amp.  I also have a LDG AT-600Pro II watt tuner that I am presently using on my Icom 7300.  There is a cable that goes from the 7300 to the tuner that supplies power from the 7300 to the tuner, I believe, The flex 6400M has no connection like what is on the cable.  Is there a cable that replaces it.  Antenna is a carolina windom so I need an external tuner.  Been using the flex internal tuner with no problems without the amp, but what to get a little more fire in the wire.
Looking for suggestions.
Photo of KB4OIF

KB4OIF

• 224 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
  • a little unsure

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Elliot Skultin

Elliot Skultin

• 34 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Official Response
HI - I currently use the 6400M with the LDG AT1000 ProII tuner.  It is exactly the same operation as the AT600ProII version that I also have.    Power it from the same 13.8 VDC supply you power your radio from.  It doesn't use much. 

THIS  is a cool feature of the FLEX
a. In the Flex, set your tuning current to say 25 Watts.  (Do this even if you don't have an internal tuner.)  It will still work with an external tuner!
b. Place your amp in "STANDBY"  it will pass the un-amplified tune signal from the FLEX to the LDG
c. Place the LDG in Function/Auto mode.  
d. Just push "TUNE" on your FLEX and it will send a beautiful 25 watt carrier and, the LDG will tune and remember.  THEN be sure to turn off the auto-tune on the LDG for safety while you are using power...  You know why...
6.  Here is a fun part with the LDG.  Sometimes when you power up the amp, you will see a bit of SWR that you didn't see when you tuned at 25W.   Unkey your mic, give a bump up or down on the C-Up or C-Dn button and see if it goes up or down when you transmit again.  Always do this between keying with power so you don't tune at high power.   When you get the SWR as low as you can, just hit FUN then SAVE  and it will save the setting for your next time on the frequency.  You just added a bit of fine tuning for running with power and saved it.   Remember to keep the LDG in Manual Tune mode when using the amp, because sometimes you change a frequency and forget... 

I hope this was still close to being on-subject..   Cheers!