Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Anyone using the new SSDR 1.0 software on digital modes with the Navigator?

Options
W4EY
W4EY Member
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
After installing the new SSDR 1.0 with the new CAT software, I ran into a problem with the CAT and PTT controls when using Digital. Present set up is a Navigator interfaced with the Flex 6500 ACC output. External digital software is the HRD DM780. Everything was working correctly with previous version of SSDR 0.10. My CAT ports are set correctly. The only way I can get the DM780 software to key the FLEX is by using VOX. Setting the VOX is extremely difficult. The VOX will key the FLEX when receiving. Is there any documentation available on what the SSDR controls setting for Digital modes. This is not in the latest SSDR 1.0 Release NOtes.

Answers

• Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Did you remove the previous version of SmartCAT , and then install the 1.1.7 version that came with SmartSDR installer?
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Dudley: Yes I removed (Uninstalled) the previous versions of SmartCAT and SmartSDR using the Computer Programs Control Panel menu. The new version of SDSDR 1.0 and CAT loaded correctly. The original CAT and PTT ports were entered the same as previous versions of SDR CAT. The new SSDR 1.0 CAT and PTT work correctly using HRD and DM780. My issue may be the Navigator running for digital. If I set the SDSDR ACC slider to around 75 and the +ACC Button enabled, COMP Slider at 0, MON Slider at 0, DELAY Slider at 10 and VOX Slider set at 10. All seems to work GOOD. However, if I move the DM780 Waterfall to a stronger (Louder) station, the VOX keys the FLEX. I can keep adjusting the VOX to stop the keying of the FLEX. Previous versions of SSDR would enable the PTT feature without using VOX. Do I have something set incorrectly??
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I think there are now three cases of PTT not working with SmartSDR CAT.. I first observed it in 0.17.4. It does not work on my two different PC's one of which never have SSDR CAT on it before 0.17.4 I havn't yet found any way to recover. TIm says its now under investigation.. AL, K0VM
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I installed 1.0.0 last night. I did not install SmartCat 1.1.7 because it is the same version that was previously installed. I was initially not able to connect Winmor to SmartCat, but after a computer reboot, it connected fine and I just connected and downloaded email using Winmor, I can say that digital modes does work. I am using the DigU mode, I turned off Comp and the RX and TX equalizers. I also in my case had to adjust the power to about 60W. (And don't forget to select ACC)
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Robert: I also have been successful with RTTY and Digital. The issue is having to use VOX with the Navigator. The PTT on the DM780 only works when the VOX is ON and slide adjusted to a setting of 10. However, some times when I am running Digital Mode, if I tune across a strong (loud) PSK signal using the DM780 waterfall, the VOX keys the FLEX on the string signal. I have to back down on the VOX Slider until it stops. I have even backed the VOX to less than 5 (usually set to 10) and the FLEX still keyed. I suspect that it has something to do with the NAVIGATOR Level settings. I have never opened the Navigator, but it sounds like there is some type of speaker inside the case since I can hear very faint digital sounds. I have disconnected the FLEX Mic to determine if it may be picking up sounds. Still trying to work it out. Thanks
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    The Navigator has its own monitor circuit, maybe that is what you are hearing? It is adjustable from the Navigator front panel. I don't have a Navigator yet but one is being delivered today I hope. All the connections should work just from the Navigator DB25 to the Flex HD15. Do you have DM780 PTT set to use the Navigator port for PTT? I think it should be using that and not a DDUtil or SMARTCAT port. Here is what I think the wiring should be between the two devices: 73 Greg AB7R
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Greg: I have the Navigator working with HRD + DM-780. I purchased a cable from Navigator to connect between the FLEX ACC and Navigator. I still drop the RADIO from DM780 and loose the RF Frequency shown in the Waterfall. I am using the latest version of HRD+DM780. I have no issue with the PTT between HRD and the FLEX. The FLEX VOX is sensitive and requires occasional adjustment when moving UP or Down the Frequency on the waterfall. Lately I installed FLDigi and it seems to give clearer audio to digital conversion than the DM780. I need the settings for FLDigi for the FLEX 6500 so I can get all the features working correctly. I have downloaded the SmartSDR.XML file from the FLDigi web and installed it in the FLDigi Wizard setup. However, still need to get the other settings to work correctly with FLDigi. Thanks Bill W4EY
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Hi Bill. I should have a Navigator delivered today and will try to build a cable assembly this evening if I have time. I don't use DM780 though and would not use VOX. I always prefer to use PTT via COM port. I do use FLDIGI. I will let you know what I come up with. 73 Greg
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Bill, what settings are you looking for? I use the Navigator with the cable and fldigi. What I noticed most often with fldigi is when I start it sometimes the frequency is not correct e.g. wrong band or I find the QSY button is greyed out. Usually to correct this is to go into the configuration of fldigi and under Rig Control and Rig CAT I press the initialize button and this usually fixes both problems. I do use hardware PTT.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Clint Hurd gave permission to post the Navigator to Flex 6000 wiring diagram on this forum. Note that the CW output on the Nav pin 4 can connect to the Flex 6000 pin 4 for CW instead of FSK. 73 Greg AB7R
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I noticed that you mentioned you have the +ACC button enabled. This will mix mic audio with the line in audio through the ACC port. Possibly this is causing your VOX activation? I don't think you need +ACC enabled, just use the ACC selection from the input dropdown menu.
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Reading through the FLEX Community, I found the following information. This was in response to a user's question...Jim was responding to W9IE "Jim - WD5IYT (Employee) 7 days ago The way it's supposed to work is this: If you select ACC from the drop down selector, it should mute the microphone inputs. If you select MIC, BAL or LINE, you can have the accessory input mixed in by selecting the +ACC button to the right of the audio level slider. " I have been running the +ACC button on. Now I understand why I am getting VOX to activate when running Digital. I unplugged the MIC and confirmed that there is VOX issues when the +ACC button is ON.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    So bottom line is if you set ACC from the drop down do NOT select +ACC? But you really cant set +ACC when ACC is selected from the drop down. The +ACC button turns blue but the letters +ACC are "greyed" out and nothing happens when try to select +ACC. This is what I see on my 6700.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Options
    When ACC is selected from the input drop down selection, ACC+ is automatically enabled and the other inputs are muted
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Thannks Tim, that is what I thought.
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Tim: Another question. I am running HRD-DM780 and the Navigator for Digital. SmartCAT is set for COM7 PTT with RTS enabled. The Navigator is using COM10 for PTT. The Navigator Documents indicate that I should be using the Navigator PTT (Com 10) port for DM870 PTT control of the FLEX. Which is correct?
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Greg: I can not open this link. Is this available by another link? Thanks Bill W4EY
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    All you have to do is join the Navigator Yahoo group. They have a ton of help documents. There is one specifically for set up with FLDigi.
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Greg: I am a member..The issue is that my Laptop has a problem with the Panera WI FI network. Must be the Coffee.. Thanks Bill
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    You use the com port defined by the Navigator.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.