6500 and low output

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I see a number of posts about low power output. I too can get 80w and no more out of the flex 6500. Before all the PS suggestions are posted. I have an Astron 35A supply. The power leads are not over two feet long and my elecraft hits 100w no problem. go.......
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 53 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1529 Posts
  • 541 Reply Likes
I had a bad Powerpole connection (my low quality work!) that did the same. Re-termination and solder fixed it right up.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9013 Posts
  • 3413 Reply Likes
Mike - just because you have an Astron doesn't mean that there is 13.8V at the radio.  On my Astron RS-35M, I have to set the output voltage to 14.4 VDC to compensate for the IR drop through the DC power cables, fuses, and voltage distribution panel.
Photo of Rory - N6OIL

Rory - N6OIL

• 251 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Ok, here are my results into a dummy load on 10m

Before Fuse
13.66 Idle
12.71 50w
12.17 100w
So I'll be upgrading the supply cable to largest I can fit on a 45 amp PowerPole then test again. I might need to bump up PS voltage, what do you guys think?
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 816 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
I am running an Astron 50A linear supply also. With an 8" long 10# cable the V drops from 14.14 to 13.98 on transmit. I had to reseat the powerpole connector on the radio to achieve this low drop. Xmit power = 96 on 15 meters.
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 53 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Flex meter?
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 53 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Flex meter?
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1401 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes
Mike

Flexmeter.exe v1.1.0.1 is available from either ...

http://wiki.sdrgadgets.com/index.php/FlexMeter
 or
https://www.dropbox.com/s/igsnaxr91y8lhga/FlexMeter.zip?dl=0

Both are identical.

Not sure we need two download locations, but I like having alternatives. Give it a try, you may find it useful. There isn't much in the way of documentation. But Ham's don't need documentation, do we? We learn by doing.

Flexmeter has been being discussed here in the Community ever since Denley W3XY, wrote it and released it, Even though the Community Search appears to have not, noticed. Both Flex, and meter, are so prevalent in the posts in the Community that they aren't really useful as search terms. 

I figured out a better search term for use with the Community Search. Searching on "Denley", takes you right to it (this morning).

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/a-small-utility-to-read-smartsdr-radio-metering-points-with-ethernet-api

A thread, that explains a lot.  

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

(Edited)
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 554 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
Bump the PS voltage to 14.1 or so in front of the fuse.
Photo of Rory - N6OIL

Rory - N6OIL

• 251 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Hi Rick, yup thinking of doing it first since I don't have power leads to make up. Now to get the beast out of it's hiding spot and pop the top, I should put it on slide out rails.
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 799 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Hi All, after a couple of years usage of my F6700 I recognized some issue with PS cables circuit on read panel
of my Radio. Connection not so fixed and after sometime on air necessary a bit shake/plug out - plug in PS cable .
Very visible with DDutil voltage monitor.
BTW, similar issue on many radios with similar circuit type, ex.: on my Ic-7600(with stable line of dust. :-). , must be sold asap, but just have no time due Flex very magic to spend time with this radio)

73!