Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My HaliKey CW Experience

Options
Dan Trainor
Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭

Hello All SmartSDR for Mac CW users, I just wanted to express my positive experience with the new HaliKey device that enables you to connect your paddles directly to a MacBook and operate CW. The HaliKey is an adapter that has a 3.5mm socket on one side, and USB-C on the other, with an FTDI serial chip in the middle. Tip connects to CTS, Ring connects to DCD, Sleeve connects to ground. And it works great! I have been testing it by making many QSOs this week and not a single dropped dit or dah, or any timing issues. And I am operating remote over SmartLink. I can't recommend it enough. It is supported by SmartSDR for Mac which has a built-in morse code keying function. The installation is plug and play. Just plug it in USB port then go to Tools⇒CW Keyer Settings and select the USB serial port and BOOM away you go. In this dialog box you can also enable/disable local side tone, set internal keyer to Straight, Iambic A, Iambic B, or Iambic B strict, swap paddles, display keys characters in CWX window or not (if you use CWX). I have tried this adapter with various amounts of TX delay and also internet latency. I can't get it to skip a beat (yet). This is a game changer for me as I can now operate CW remote RELIABLY with only my MacBook. Awesome! Dan de WA1QZX.

Comments

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Dan .. just ordered one. SmartSDR for Mac is the way to go!

W7NGA

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Really love mine too ! No nonsense; just works. Great design.

Russ KR6W

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, I agree. SmartSDR for Mac is the way to go.

• SmittyHalibut
    SmittyHalibut Member ✭✭
    Options

N6MTS, SmittyHalibut, maker of the HaliKey here.. :-)

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm so glad that it's working so well and filling such a niche for everyone. Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you have any other niches you think I might be able to fill. Always looking for more good ideas.

Cheers, 73 de N6MTS
    -Mark

• AA5SH
    AA5SH Member ✭✭
    Options

Hey @SmittyHalibut may not be using the proper terms but:

12V→24V upconverter cable to run the new Maestro C off of bench/portable voltage easier.

I as well like your Halikey. This may already exist but another gap/struggle I see with the new Maestro C is getting Microphones going since now it is the TRRS format and by default none of the 3 other flex microphones just work I had. May be a good opportunity for OHIS or other to easily get that going. That could just be education and links not sure. Haven't dug into it much.

73, Michael, AA5SH

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hey Mark,

Well, since you asked let me just repeat my request for an iOS version.

Thanks, Russ KR6W