Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Fan Noise

Options
How does the Power Genius XL fan noise compare to other solid state amps (SSA's) and is there a review of fan noise for SSA's?
David, K1MT

Comments

• Russ Ravella
    Russ Ravella Member ✭✭✭
    Options

HI David,

Reports on this are all over the map. The question is complicated quite a bit by the fact that Flex has had multiple PGXL firmware updates specifically focused on improving fan noise. So a particular commenter might be reacting to an older algorithm which been improved since. All of this along with the fact that there are three user selectable fan modes, each of which behave differently. And of course how hot the finals get depends on the power and mode you're using. Reports one way or the other often omit these and other critical details so it's hard to interpret them.

For me the fan noise situation has improved dramatically since I got my first one in 2019. It's much quieter than the Yaesu Quadra I had before but not as quiet of course as the tube amps I've had like the ACOM 2000a. Of course solid state amps always have significant fan noise. It's the nature of the beast. And for what it's worth, the ACOM 2000a made a terrible racket changing frequencies and bands where the PGXL only makes a few relay clicks doing so. By the way, when used with Flex stuff (radio, tuner, switch) it's connected and controlled by one Ethernet cable so you can place it some place where you can't hear it at all.

One last thing, the PGXL has three different fan groups (LDMOS FETs, harmonic dump and power supply) each with their own fans and control loops. They come on at different times depending on what's going on. Each sounds different and my take from reading comments is that people are more or less sensitive to particular fan sounds or pitches.

Bottom line is, assess comments on this carefully. You really should try to use one yourself before deciding what you think. I think Flex has a 30 day return policy so you could try it out and send it back if you don't like it but of course verify that before ordering !

Good Luck ! Russ KR6W

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have a SPE 2K-FA and a PGXL. I often operate both at the same time and while the changes to the firmware have made the PGXL quieter than it was originally, it is still noticeably louder than the 2K-FA.

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭
    Options

So take the PGXL put it in a rack away from the operating position and noise solved. Mine is right next to me and the fan noise does not bother me at all.

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The important point is how you operate and which mode.

I operate FT8 that is a very high duty cycle. Much heat to dissipate.

if you operate SSB or CW less heat to dissipate.
    Are you a contester where fatigue is a factor.

Do you use noise cancelling headset?

I located PGXL in another area. I can’t hear it at all.

Find a ham that has one and listen to it. Go to Dayton and see it there.

My old tube amp fan made a racket and could not remote it in another room.

Bill

W9JJB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.