Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6600 and Expert Linear AMP

Options
HI, I'm one week in to my adventure with 6600 FlexRadio. I've had no problems with basic barefoot TX and RX. I have previously been using a Yaesu radio and an Expert Linear 1.5 KA amp Ver 3 with good success.

I've received a CAT cable from Dan Tassell for connecting 6600 and the expert and that's hooked up. I've set up FLEX for the CAT setting in the amp, and have gone through the instructions for setting the 3 levels of drive power for each band, and that looks to be working fine, and band changes in the radio software are reflected properly in the amp. The FLEX is on the amp Input 2, and the amp is set at 9600 BAUD.

The trouble is that transmitting fails to key the amp. If I transmit in FM mode into a dummy load connected to the amp, the radio does go into transmit , and the meter in the software shows output power, but there is no response from the amp when it's in operate mode.

In the software settings menu, I've tried changing the transmit band settings in the software so the "RCA TX1" box is checked for all the bands I use. Doing that makes the amplifier display amps, but there is still no transmit activity.

Thanks for any insight you folks might have. I really like this radio and software combination!

Tom

I've gone back and verified the the Yaesu and the Expert Linear still work together well.

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Tom, did you connect the TX1 line to the PTT line of the amp?

• Tom-Freedman
    Tom-Freedman Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks Len,

Yes, the connection between TX1 And the AMP PTT line is done through the Cable I received from Mr. Tassell.
  • Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I use two of Dan Tassell's cables to connect both my 6400M and 6600M to my SPE 2K-FA. The newer one uses TX1 while the original supports using the ACC TX to key the amp. Since yours is like my original cable did you switch the TXD dip switch to on? If not, it will expect a separate line to key the amp.

• Tom-Freedman
    Tom-Freedman Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you Rick,

Yes, the TXD switch #1 is in the "on" position. As It turns out, this morning I switched out the COAX connecting the 6600 and the AMP, and Viola! all is well, so I guess that was the fault unless it was some intermittent Gremlin.

Thanks Everyone!
    73, Tom

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.