Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Cheers and Jeers for the Maestro C Power Supply

Options
Peter K1PGV
Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭

Look: I have a brand new Maestro C. I'm loving it. But that doesn't mean I can't find at SOMEthing to "complain" about 😀

Cheers: Bravo to Flex for choosing the use a Mean Well power brick, as opposed to some off-brand junk. Mean Well makes a great product, and it's nice to have "little things" like a light on the power brick that shows the power is on.

The battery itself also seems to be well chosen… so thanks for that!

Jeers: Booo for thickness and stiffness of the power cord from the power brick to the Maestro. I view the Maestro as a device that should be easy to move around, even when plugged in, like a laptop. Also, the length of the supplied IEC cable from the power brick is (at one foot) waaaay too short for my taste. (Yes… I do realize that the power cord and the connector from the brick are a "standard" Mean Well configuration).

Neither Cheer or Jeer: Monday Morning Engineering

In retrospect, it's too bad the Maestro didn't just use a USB C connector (with a 20V/5A profile — or, if you REALLY wanted to be cool, you could use USB PD 3.1's 28V/5A profile) for power. That would give folks tons of options for cables and power supplied. Yes, I realize it's easier to engineer in retrospect that in advance. 😉

Comments

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2
    Options

+1 for USB PD3.1

Maybe Maestro D … 😁

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm toying with the idea of cooking-up a Maestro-to-USB C adapter plug that has the necessary USB PD circuitry inside it. In other words, it'd have a Maestro plug on one side and a USB C socket on the other, so I could use a USB C charger with my Maestro.

I'm a ham… I can't help but want to tinker with stuff like this.😎

OTOH, I also don't welcome the idea of potentially wiring the adapter wrong and frying my brand new Maestro. Ahhhh… What was it that William H. Calvin said about pioneers? 🤣

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    Options

@Peter K1PGV

After sleeping on this idea for a night: Your idea is Fantastic!!

PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY 😁

USB-C power supplies are ubiquitous for all my laptops, usually in the 95W region.

• Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    Options

LOL… I'm glad somebody else thinks this is a good idea, and that I'm not off in the weeds. But, I won't take your money, Gord. 😁

If and when I do this (the parts have all been ordered), I'll definitely publish the how-to on my web site. If things go as planned, it should be a very simple do-it-yourself project (with the attendant "not my responsibility… your project, your risk" associated with it).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.