Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6700 and the Q5 Signal Five Band Transverter - what options to order?

Options
Dick Bean
Dick Bean Member ✭✭

I have seen a number of positive posts about using the new Q5 Signal five band transverter, but I am not sure what options to select when ordering the transverter. Could someone please share their suggestions?

common or split IF?
common or split RF?

IF drive level, which of the three choices:
-20 dBm to 0 dBm
0 dBm to +20 dBm
1 W to 10 W

PTT polarity:
low (GND)
high (> 1.7V)

Last choice was custom or 28 MHZ IF and I am assuming 28 MHZ.

Thanks!

Dick, K1HC

Best Answer

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited March 29
    Options

Hi D.ick,

I prefer common IF so that I don't have to mess with an additional cable and use up an RX port. On the other hand, if you are planning on using external filtering or RX amplification, you might want split IF.

Check to see what Max Power limits your 6700 has for transverter output. My 6400 goes from -10 to +10 dBm in which case, either of the first two choices you list will probably be OK. I think that I would choose the second, as you will never overdrive it, but check with Q5 to see if you get full power out with +10 dBm of drive using the 0 - 20 option.

PTT polarity would normally be low unless you are trying to match other equipment that is the reverse.

Most of us who use transverters run with a 28 MHz IF. The 6700 has an internal transverter for 2 Meters, so I am not sure if that would affect your decision to go with a different IF (like 50 MHz). Q5 will be able to guide you here as well.

• Dick Bean
    Dick Bean Member ✭✭
    Options

HI Len-

Thanks for your insights! My Flex hardware manual (P.14) indicates the transverter port power output is 0 to +15 dBm and the 6700 can be used with either common or split (section 10 of the manual), but I just wasn't sure of the reasons for using one way versus the other. Thanks on the PTT answer as well as the 28 MHZ IF comment.

Thanks again for the helpful answers!

Dick, K1HC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.