Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Connecting to Starlink internet

Options
knewberry
knewberry Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Networking
I'm in a internet desert and can hardly get any internet, After trying several providers with little or no success, I bought a Starlink setup. I now have all the internet I'll ever need. Without checking before I bought it, I now find I can't connect it to my new Flex 6400. Maybe I can connect, but I don't know how. Starlink is nearly impossible to contact. I'm not using Smartlink so a "simple" way to connect is all I need. Can someone please tell me how and what else I need to hook it up? Thanks for any help anyone can offer, 73. Ken, K5GI

Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

knewberry

You must have a public IP address for Flex SmartLink to work.

Upgrade your StarLink to one of the "Priority" plans. Then, from your StarLink admin console, set your IP Policy to "Public IP."

Alan. WA9WUD

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Ken, you say that you are not using SmartLink, so I assume that you are just looking to connect your Windows computer running SmartSDR locally to your 6400, right? In other words, you are not trying to connect remotely via the internet, correct?

• knewberry
    knewberry Member ✭✭
    Options

Len, no smartlink. Just radio. Thanks, ken

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Ken, how are you connecting everything?

Normally, you would connect the radio and computer {running SmartSDR) to a network switch using ethernet cables. Sometimes that switch is part of your modem/router (the StarLink box) and sometimes it is a separate box.

If that is how you are connected and are still having problems, you can try "link local" where you plug the ethernet cable from your computer directly into the radio. You will need to power both off, make the connection, then power them both up. Once you have a green light on the 6400, start SmartSDR on the computer and it should find the radio.

If that fails, then it is time to submit a help desk ticket.

• knewberry
    knewberry Member ✭✭
    Options

Len and Allen, thanks for all the good advice. I'll sure try it out. Thanks again. Ken. K5GI

• jslawsby
    jslawsby Member
    Options
    > @KD0RC said:
    > Hi Ken, you say that you are not using SmartLink, so I assume that you are just looking to connect your Windows computer running SmartSDR locally to your 6400, right? In other words, you are not trying to connect remotely via the internet, correct?

This post thread might be archived but I am about to set up my flex 6400 at my vacation house that uses Starlink. I have upgraded my account and set IP to public. Is there anything else I need to do in order to use SmartLink with Starlink?

Thanks

Jonathan, W5GI
  • Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jonathan

Nothing more on the StarLink side, as you say you have upgraded and set up the StarLink for a public IP option.

You cannot configure the StarLink Router. Replace the StarLink router with a router of your choice that allows more advance user configuration. The advance StarLink has RJ45 cable that you use as the WAN to the replacement router.

You must configure your router firewall ports. Flex recommends you use UPnP in the router and Automatic on SmartLink.

Or. if you want, use manual and configure the router ports yourself.

Alan. WA9WUD

• knewberry
    knewberry Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Jonathan, I am using Starlink now and it works good. Originally I wanted to connect my computer directly to my 6400, because I didn't have internet. I got that to work finally, but I wanted to connect to the internet when I could. I bought an ethernet adapter from Starlink as my Starlink router has no ethernet port on it. It connects to the router and has an ethernet port on it. From the adapter, go to an ethernet switch, and from the switch run cables to computer and one to the flex 6400. Then it worked OK. This way might be all you need at your location. I don't use Smartlink here so I can't comment on its use. I found that after connecting as described, there was one app I use that wouldn't work. That is an app called EZ PIX, an SSTV mode. I use it to send photos to other EZ PIX users. The fix for that was to use a VPN, Virtual Private Network. EZ PIX works perfectly this way, however some web sites won work properly with VPN on. Just turn VPN off to fix that. I use Avast VPN, it's free. The ethernet adapter from Starlink, cost about $25.00. Before buying an ethernet switch, you could try to use wifi from router to your computer. I hope maybe I answered your question without confusing you too much. Glad to help any time. Let me know if I can help. Good luck, and 73. Ken, K5GI

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.