Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Max power

Options
Hi all,

In transmit (Maestro) or in radio setup Smart Sdr you can set a max power for the radio to transmit.
In Tx Band Settings you can also set power levels. RF power and Tune power. If you set rf power in tx band settings to 30 watts and max power in max power to 75 watts for the whole radio you can still bring the band settings up to the max power of 75 watts.
Would it not be better that the tx levels per band in Tx Band Settings are also restricted to the power you give it per band.?
For the use of amps would this be great that you can give a max level per band.

73 Timon PA1T

Comments

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@pa1t

I set my power limits in my transmit profiles.

• pa1t
    pa1t Member
    Options
    Yes Ed,
    But then still you can get higher power out of the radio when you move the slider in tx menu.
    73 Timon PA1T
  • Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Not that anyone will care, but I agree with Timon. The TX Band Settings should be exactly that: the level set = the maximum for that band. If you have the whole radio max power at 100 watts, for example if you have that restriction level on 60m, you have to very diligent not to overdrive an amplifier on other bands. Well, I have to be consciously aware anyway. That risk should not be there as per other manufacturers' SDR software. Profiles are good but they are not per band maximum power levels. Though I think Ed's point is to use Profiles and never touch the power slider / knob. Fine, but not as optimal as per band maximums in TX band settings.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15
    Options

SmartSDR is supposed to do this, hit the "Settings" tab, click on "TX Band Settings", then set the Power out for both "TUNE" and "RF power" out, Enable or disable the TX for the Amp and other settings PER BAND, but Doesn't look to be working.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

TX Band Settings are a “starting point” for power out on a band. If you adjust the RF Power it will change the power out for that band. This was for those that “ride” the power out knob to adjust drive as their amp heats up and changes output level.

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Don't the "riders" also appreciate that becoming "runners" of the risk to damage of their amps through Flex biasing their decision making perversely to one type of operator is a potentially expensive disaster? One does need to adjust power but not beyond a maximum level in any sensible arrangement.

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This seems to me as a "non" argument. Set the power out per your xmit profile and leave the sliders alone. Yes, you can still change the power out with the "sliders" or knobs. I run a MercuryIIIS amp. If you turn the power too it will trip out. Zero chance of damaging it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.