Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Mic for use with the “balanced “ connector

Options

After years of hardly using a mic , I am now trying to use one frequently . I have the FHM-3 working fine on the Maestro C and I have a Heil Gold Elite working , plugged in to the 1/8 mic socket on the 6600 . The 6600 manual states that the balanced connector on the 6600 can be used for the highest quality audio . I have been advised that my Heil Gold is not a suitable mic for wiring up for use with the balanced connector . What would be an example of a mic that is suitable for use of the balanced mic socket ?

Andy K3UK .

Best Answer

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just realize that no one will ever hear the difference between balanced and unbalanced connections for a short run of mike cable. The frequency response is the same. The balanced connection reduces noise pickup for long runs, like a studio setting

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Electro-Voice RE320 or Heil PR-781. And many others that have XLR output connectors.

73, Craig KØCF

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have had good results with Heil 781.

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Craig , my existing Heil Gold Elite has an XLR connector but i was advised that it is not suited for the balanced connection. .

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17
    Options

The Heil PR40 works very well for me

audio is a bit low so I have it At about 80%

The Gold line will work very well BUT on the earlier Mics they had the PTT switch wired to the Mic— and Shield which caused HUM on the audio.

they can be rewired pretty easily but the Mic has to be totally disabled and wired correctly so the MIC— was not tied to the switch or shield

i put this Mod on the Flex5000 reflector years ago but I’m not sure it is still around.

Oh of Course you will have to build your Radio Ends to match the Radio for MIC in and the PTT jack.

• Andrew O'Brien
    edited March 17
    Options

Jack , I did find your old Flex 5000 post . Since I have the Gold Elite working via the 1/8 connector on the 6600 I might give up on using the Gold Elite via the balanced connection and pick up a 781 for trying out audio quality on a balanced connection . I found an old post where someone painstakingly detailed the XLR3 pin outs to the 1/4 TRS plug . Save me further messing around with a 4 pin XLR and unclear 1/4 TRS pin outs .

Thanks ,

Andy K3UK

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17
    Options

here is my OLD post for the Goldline MIC Mod, This one shows for the 8 Pin Mic connector but the MIC mod is the exact SAME for the Balanced cable, it is from May of 2012 https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/200516338

The problem is the JUMPER on the MIC 4 PIN XLR connector.

1/4" Balanced cable wiring is Tip MIC+ , Ring MIC--, Sleeve in the GND. very easy and is the STANDARD Commercial MIC wiring and I think is the same as the 1/8" jack for the F6600.

I would rather use the much more physically substantial 1/4" connector but that is just me.

• Andrew O'Brien
    Options
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yep your right John except for one VERY important thing,

A Ham Radio station with up to 1500 Watts of Power can pick up MUCH MUCH MORE RFI noise than a 100' length of cable in a Studio setting,

This is why I use a good quality balanced Audio cable and a Balanced MIC for my Radio activities, Balanced cables have a self RF noise canceling especially when using Twisted pair cables.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.