Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Slice Setup for Remote Operation (MARS)

Options

Hi Folks,

Looking for some help here. I have a flex6400 that I use for MARS. What Im trying to accomplish:

I have software installed on a PC that is local to the flex. On this machine I have some software installed for Digital work (eliminates the remote / network latency factor that seems to bite me with some brief studders when trying to operate remote). I use VNC Viewer to remote into this machine. I Have it set to Slice B.

Id like to use Slice A for Audio/Mic remotely from my operating position at my condo.

So in the end, I can talk on slice A from my condo, and be VNC'ed into my remote machine where I can send and receive digital traffic.

How I have it set up currently, slice A voice, slice B digital all remote. The problem I have, is when trying to pass digital traffic remotely, It will sometimes do a quick sudder during transmission and my traffic is toast. My latency is generally 15-20ms from my remote location to the flex. I find if I can set the digital portion up AT the radio, I fix the problem.

I figured I could set up a Global profile on the local machine on slice B and Voice on slice A, but I must be missing something. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Adam N1AH

Answers

• n1ah
    n1ah Member ✭✭
    Options

I think I may have figured it out.

I can have Slice A on voice on my remote machine, I can have slice A on Data (in USBD) on my home machine at the same time. Seems like all I have to do is turn DAX on when Im about to transmit data on the home machine, then turn it off when Im done with the transmission and Im able to use voice.

If theres a better way to do this im all ears but this seemed to work. Didnt need to futz with slice B at all)

Adam N1AH

• Rick N0VT
    Rick N0VT Member ✭✭
    Options

I don't know if this is applicable to your situation, but I have a "USB" profile and a "DATA" profile and use a Stream deck button configured as a multi-action switch. I just press the button to change from one to the other. For me, that's easier/faster than messing with DAX.

For what it's worth, when remote (using SSDR on my laptop) I hear stutters in the my audio but the receiving stations tells me it sounds and decodes fine.

73, Rick

• John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 11
    Options

I use a paid version of TeamViewer to remote into a PC where I run just DAX/CAT/MSC/DMT/ALE and FRStack — while back on my local machine (PC or Mac) I only run SmartSDR.

It doesn’t seem to matter if SmartSDR is run on the remote machine… the other digital programs have their own direct access to the audio stream directly through DAX and PTT control using CAT. Thus latency is as low as possible for the digital stream.

SmartSDR, back on my local machine, shows all the digital or voice activity (and occasionally stutters because of latency) but it never seems to be the cause of digital TX or RX failures. My messages seem to be primarily affected by band conditions and, of course, the settings I choose in the software.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/5151377433115-Using-Digital-Programs-on-a-Windows-computer-with-slices-controlled-by-another-Client-Device-Like-SSDR-Mac

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.