Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

flex 6600M

Options
ea5iwt
ea5iwt Member ✭✭
edited February 28 in Amateur Radio Interests

hello

well since there is 0 flex 6700 to get so I will ask on the 6600M

is any one can comment about is there any issue noise etc with the pc built in the 6600M ?

or any other issue is it better to get the normal 6600 what one people like better

as well not sure why the software never had the pure signal and the much improving NR NB

like the G2 any comment will be great thank you

vy 73 elan ea5iwt

Comments

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I own a 6600M and have never had any noise issues that I could say were from the front panel. If you like radios with knobs, then the 6600M is the best of both worlds. It can work standalone or from SmartSDR on your computer over your home network. It can even be used from anywhere you have a reasonable internet connection using SmartLink.

As for Noise Reduction, I find that it depends on your location. From my perspective, noise reduction has improved in the last two updates to SmartSDR even though it is not listed in any of the release notes. And the Noise Blanker is like any noise blanker on any radio. It depends on the type of noise you are having problems with. Some radio's noise blankers will work on your local noise and others may not help at all. It is almost impossible to make a noise blanker that will be effective on all types of noise. There is just too much variation in noise sources and the ways they create the noise you hear.

As for Adaptive Pre-Destortion ( known as Pure Signal in Anan radios) may or may not, ever come to the 6000 series radios. Honestly, the spectral purity of the 6000 series radios is already quite clean. Adaptive Pre-Destortion while nice to have, isn't the problem. It is poorly adjusted transmit chain by users. Microphone gain turned up too high and over driving an amplifier is the main culprit of splatter and IMD heard ( and with a spectrum display seen) on our bands today.

The G2 Saturn from Apache Labs that you are referring to, is a good radio. But, it is much more complicated to setup and use than a Flex radio. It requires knowledge of the Command line in Linux to download, compile and install updates to the radio's firmware and software. And customer support isn't that reliable from the company. Firmware and software ,while free, is provided by volunteer developers, not Apache Labs. And it is subject to the desire of the developer to correct issues that come up. And may not happen if your particular issue doesn't effect the developer. And even if it does, he may choose not to share any solution he ( or she) comes up with. The source code for Thetis ( the main application for the Anan radios) is available for download. So, one can always fix problems themselves if they have the ability to write software for the radio.

The Anan radios have a lot going for them. But, support from Apache Labs is questionable. Support from Flex Radio on the other hand, is excellent. Flex Radio may not be perfect, but, overall, they are a much more reliable company.

James

WD5GWY

Just so you know, I own both a Flex 6600M and a Anan 8000DLE. I like both radios. But, if I could only have one, it would be my 6600M. I know that Flex Radio will be around much longer than Apache Labs. And if I have problems, I have a much better chance of getting it resolved with Flex Radio's customer service than with Apache Labs. ( who only has one person in the US doing repairs)

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have been operating my 6000M daily for over 6 years. It is a joy to operate and improves with each Flex update. The 6000 plus a Maestro would also be a good choice.

• ea5iwt
    ea5iwt Member ✭✭
    Options

hello Guys

thank you kind for that well for sure no one know where Apache lab is 1 man company so I told it been sold to some guy in Australia no one who is he not even his call no need to run Linux you can run on normal window pc etc any way will see if flex coming with something new this coming show if not I may get the 6600 M

many thanks

vy 73 elan EA5IWT

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 27
    Options

Elan,

The G2 Saturn radios have an internal Raspberry Pi CM4 module that controls everything in the radio. It uses Raspbian Linux desktop environment. It is there even if you are only using Thetis on your networked Windows pc. The Raspbian Linux operating system is the basic interface for updating the firmware in the radio. Plus, the application that sends data over your network is a Raspbian Linux application that on the G2 without the front panel. You still have to run the Linux programs occasionally to keep updated and to keep up with changes to new versions of Thetis. If and when, there is a new version of the firmware for the G2 Saturn, you will have to update it from the Raspbian Linux desktop. And you will have to use the Linux Command line to download, build ( compile) and install the new firmware.

The Raspbian Linux desktop application that auto starts on the radio without the front panel is called P2APP. That is the application that sends the ethernet data over the network to Thetis. If it needs updating, you have to use the Command line. On the radio without the front panel you will have to connect a keyboard, mouse and monitor. And then you will see the Raspbian Linux desktop. There is an application in Raspbian Linux called PiHPSDR that can run the radio without connecting to Thetis. You just have to have the keyboard, mouse and monitor connected.

The simple answer is, you can not avoid using Linux if you have a G2 Saturn radio. At some point you will have to use it. You really should go to the Apache Labs website and download the manual for the G2 Saturn radios. There is a link to it on their main web page.

I like my Anan 8000DLE. But, I would be hesitant to buy a new G2 Saturn. It is much more complex than the Flex 6000 Series radios and SmartSDR are. And it is easier to mess up as well.

James

WD5GWY

The manufacturing facility of the Anan radios is in India. The owner of the company is in Melbourne, Australia. New radios ship from India. The owner is from India.

• Tim K9WX
    Tim K9WX Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Elan, I would think the size of the 6600M versus the size of the 6600 would be an important consideration. How much space do you have on your desk?

I use a 6600 with a Maestro. The 6600 sits on a bookshelf several feet away from my operating position; only the Maestro sits on the desk at the operating position. This works well for me as I would not have space for the entire 6600M at the operating position.

Tim K9WX

• ea5iwt
    ea5iwt Member ✭✭
    Options

hello

well the Apache Lab conning 15 ham that lost over $4.000 I will not buy any thing from them be very carful if you even order direct from them you may lose your money even if you pay PayPal credit

my friend who investigate the issue for the other guys told me it is inside job I dont think I will go for any anan radio dont look well made any way short cut the flex hardware so much better

• ea5iwt
    ea5iwt Member ✭✭
    Options

well I like to ask you if you disconnect the antenna and try to go as low as possible in the frequency can you see any hear any noise from the internal pc ? you can see the noise if any on the scope let me know thank you kind for that

vy 73 elan EA5IWT

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.