Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Any special considertations upgrading from 2.12.0 to 3.7.3?

Options

My Flex is remote and I can access it via VPN. I have a NUC next to the radio and I have not had any issues upgrading the 2.x series.

I searched (maybe not enough?) but didn't find any special instruction if I changed major versions (2 to 3).

I want to make sure I don't need to do something like "activate the PTT on the radio" as that, I cannot do.

I can run the radio via SmartLINK or via SmartSDR if I connect to the co-located NUC via my VPN. But I don't have access to the front panel

Best Answer

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Bruno, the major version update does not have any special considerations.

Answers

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Two comments - there is a fee for going to v3 over v2. Also, IIRC any upgrade requires a PTT to confirm access to the radio, esp. for major version upgrade.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

HI John, yes there is a fee if the radio is only licensed for V2, but there is no PTT required when updating using a computer at the radio site. It is functionally equivalent to being there when operating over VPN.

• W4AFK Bruno
    W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Len ... as if I required a local PTT, then I would have backed off for now. As for the fee, I am aware and I'll pay for it. I have a NUC (computer) with the radio, so it's on the LAN side.

• W4AFK Bruno
    W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭
    Options

Follow-up ...

I am updating my remote F6400 to v3 as it's on v2 while another F6400 I am managing for our club is on v3. My goal is to not have to use v2 and and a v3 software on my computers, laptops, and Surface Pro 4 tablet.

I normally access both via the VPN --> LAN --> NUC, and use SmartSDR. However, there are times I need to use SmartLINK.

Will SmartLINK give me the option to select the radio if I don't tell it to connect to the last radio?

• Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 3
    Options

Originally I thought yes deselect connect to last radio. But you have a VPN with a LAN, your local computer and SSDR. I have briefly ran Smart Link and Flex Link here at the station as I have had two radios. But haven't left it running due to a hacker issue. I have a Static IP, but no vpn or powerful firewall...

As I see it, when you register with the server you have to have all your ports routed and assign your addresses... as you are connecting around that local computer... So you'll be logging into one radio at a time from the remote... It's doubtful you'll just blindly be able to connect to Radio A or Radio B from the outside once you have logged in. UNless you desire to team viewer into the station...

I'm curious myself in the interest of higher flex knowledge... Is this working the way I think? Here in the shack not remote I have two radios and two computers, without running virtual machines on one lan segment I can't run multiple instances of ssdr on one computer... No matter what you will desire upgrading from version 2 to 3... Erika DD

• W4AFK Bruno
    W4AFK Bruno Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Erika,

Here's the scoop (FYI - Have a look at my QRZ page to see my remote Florida setup)

• My remote F6400 is in Florida and I help to manage another F6400 located on Palomar Mountain in SoCal (California)
    • The Florida F6400 was running v2 while the California F6400 is running v3
    • I normally access my Florida F6400 via SmartLINK but I have a NUC on the LAN side and a VPN connection for updates, etc.
    • I connected to my NUC and upgraded the Florida F6400 to v3 last night. This morning, at 07h38 PT, I received an E-mail from Flex telling me that it was activated.
    • I connected to the Flrorida radio vis the VPN + NUC and activated the uopgrafde. After a few minutes, it came iup and is working fine. I then disconnected and reconnected using SmartLINK (v3), and it also worked fine.

I use SmartLINK on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 when I travel, on my home ham radio computer, and a laptop.

To be clear, I wanted both F6400's on v3 as that way I didn't need to have two active versions on each computer. Note that I do NOT want to be on both radios at the same time.

If you wonder why I use SmartLINK in place of the VPN from here, the reason is simple: When I first installed the F6400, NUCs were not very capable and the one I have uses an Intel "Atom" processor LOL. It works but I maxes it out when I use the radio for voice and data software. I am planning to buy a new NUC that's built around an Intel i5 (or i7) and with more memory, configuring it over here, and sending it to my ham friend who is hosting and sharing my Florida setup.

As for ports, using SmartrLINK makes it easy and transparent. However, on the LAN side where the radio is located, I had to setup some rules on the router when I first installed the radio. These are clearly listed in the manuals and it was pretty easy. The "complexity" is how your router handles those as on some, you can easily access the settings while on others, you need to dig in different areas of the router.

As you can see on my QRZ page, I have other devices that manage the amp , antennas, rotator, power, and security (which I don't share in detail). It's been working fine for many years. This is also why I didn't change my callsign to a W6 ... as my main HF station is in Florida, it's less confusing LOL. Oh, and no issues with latency over this 2680-mile path. I'm on a 1 Gbps U/D fiber connection over here while the Florida connection is on a cable MODEM. I have no problems using voice and data from here near San Diego and even beaconing via WSPR shows minimal effect.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.