Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

questions about remote operation

Options

I have been using a Flex 6700 since 2019 and love it. I recently set it up for remote operation and have a few problems with both SmartSDR for PC and Mac that I would appreciate some help with.

With SmartSDR for PC I get this panadapter:

I can tune around with the FlexControl and have made an FT8 contact, but cannot see the signals. Any help would be appreciated.

I have some questions about the SmartSDR for Mac once I solve this one. Thanks for your help!

Ed K5YZW

Best Answer

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Ed, for the mic, it will use the default recording device on your computer. I often just use the built in mic on my laptop. I recommend setting up a mic profile for remote and one (or more) for home station operation so that you retain your mic settings for each situation.

Make sure that you have PC selected as the mic source and enable PC Audio. Also make sure that DAX is off. To key the mic, click on the MOX button. You can also set up a CAT port to be PTT if you want to build a cable for it so that you can use a physical switch. FRStack3 software allows you to set up hot keys to make things easier.

To key CW, I recommend going to the RemoteKeyerInterface io groups forum: (https://groups.io/g/RemoteKeyerInterface/topics)

Here you will find info on building a simple interface and on setting up a CAT port to take the key input. There is a companion program that runs to key the rig and give you a CW sidetone.

If you have (or get) a Maestro, you can operate remotely and plug the mic and key/paddles right into the back of the Maestro without building anything.

Answers

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Ed, what version of SmartSDR are you running?

• Ed K5YZW
    Ed K5YZW Member ✭✭
    Options

Len, I'm running 3.5.9.

Ed

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Ed, I would recommend moving up to 3.6.8 and if that doesn't help, submit a help desk ticket.

• Ed K5YZW
    Ed K5YZW Member ✭✭
    Options

I will do that, Len. It is interesting, though, that I'm running 3.5.9 on my laptop and it works fine.

Thanks, Ed K5YZW

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

try disabling the PC firewall for a test. Sounds like the firewall software Windows Defender or third party, may be blocking UDP packets.

Dave wo2x

• Ed K5YZW
    Ed K5YZW Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for that suggestion, Dave, but I figured out the problem. I noticed that the network signal strength was very low even though the computer was connected to the router with a brand new 6-foot ethernet cable, so I swapped out the cable for another one, the signal strength went green, and the pan adapter came up. Your idea was a good one which I would have tried next. The next problem I need to solve is how to connect a mic and a keyer to my computer so they will key the remote 6700. Thanks again, Dave. Ed K5YZW

• Ed K5YZW
    Ed K5YZW Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for that information, Len. I run FRStack3, so that looks like a good way to go. Do you know of a USB audio interface that will accept a 9-pin mic plub?

I'll check out the remote keyer interface as well. If I decide to get a Maestro, does it provide a CW sidetone?

Ed, K5YZW

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Ed, I don't know of a USB audio interface, but I am sure they exist.

Yes, the Maestro provides sidetone.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I am using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 v4 dual XLR to USB-C, plus headphone jack. Plugs in my MAC Mini as radio is in garage with amp, tuner and AG.

PR-40 mic into W2IHY equipment feeding one of the XLR inputs. I get very good unsolicited audio reports.

Works well with Hawaii remote station too.

73 Dave wo2x

• Ed K5YZW
    Ed K5YZW Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Dave. That setup looks great. Do you have a recommendation for CW? Len, KD0RC, recommended a remote keyer interface, which looks good but requires a build, which I will do, but I am curious about alternative approaches other than a Maestro. Thanks, Ed K5YZW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.