Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR Memory Use

Options
johnn1jm
johnn1jm Member ✭✭
edited January 19 in SmartSDR for Mac

I'm using a Mac Mini M2, 8 gigs of memory with a 6400. I've notice lately that after being on a while the program goes from about 100MB when first turned on to about 5 GB after being on overnight and audio may get choppy. (On a PC, gulp, which is a different animal, SSDR may take up about 300MB when being on for the same amount of time.) This also happens on my MacBook Pro M1 with 16GB of memory. Any thoughts?

73, JohnN1JM

Comments

• AA5SH
    AA5SH Member ✭✭
    Options

What all do you have running in SmartSDR for Mac? Just one Pan adapter or multiple, logging tool, ft8 tool (multiple), etc. I don't typically leave it on over night I can try that and see.

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭
    Options

Just one slice open. Nothing else.

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Not quite an identical configuration, as my MacMini is a 6-core i7, but my SSDR Mac stays at about 300MB throughout days of use, with DAX and CAT constantly busy. Penultimate version of SSDR (have not updated to the just-released version).

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭
    Options

I updated to the new version 3.6.8 and the same before and after.

John N1JM

• AA5SH
    AA5SH Member ✭✭
    Options

I have a M2 Mac Mini with 8gb ram. I started up a SmartSDR And will leave it running and see how it goes. I've never monitored it's memory usage really. Right now been running an hour or so and it's at 130mb. One slice on 20M monitoring the whole band.

MIchael

• AA5SH
    AA5SH Member ✭✭
    Options

Ok I've had mine running for over 24 hours now. Used it some a while last night. after about 8 hours or so memory was around 130 megs. When I opened the logbook in SmartSDR it jumped up to 180 and has stayed around there ever sense. I was unsure where you saw memory usage I was watching in Activity Monitor. You may want to reach out to Marcus and ask him. I don't believe he monitors any of these forums but is the author of this software.

73 Michael, AA5SH

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭
    Options

Interesting. I look at it in Activity Monitor and a program that resides in the top menu bar call iStat Menu, which monitors many things such as memory usage,CPU usage, temperatures, battery, network activity, etc.

I'll reach out to Marcus and see if he has anything to say.

I assume you are using the latest version of SSDR and are you on an Apple Silicon Mac?

John N1JM

• AA5SH
    AA5SH Member ✭✭
    Options

I have a M2 Mac Mini with 8gb ram and using the latest version available on the App Store.

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭
    Options

Marcus said not worry that is normal. I guess so😎.

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭
    Options

I still don't think the 5 Gb is quite right when others are running less than 500 Mb. If it was happening on just one of my Macs, I could see it might be my Mac but it happens on my other Mac, too.

John N1JM

• Jean_Luc F5JRC
    Jean_Luc F5JRC Member ✭✭
    Options

I recently bought a Mac Mini M2 with 8 GB and a 250 GB hard drive on the Apple refurb. This MacMini is entirely dedicated to the radio to use a Flex 6500, and following this thread which worried me I have been running it since one week without interruption with the latest software versions of SmartSDR (2 panadapters), RumLog and Goggle Chrome. I didn't notice any swapping on the hard drive (SSD). Note that the Flex 6500 is in firmware version 2 (2.10.1).

73's

Jean-Luc / F5JRC

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭
    Options

For some reason unknown to me, SSDR for Mac now only takes up about 150 Mb of memory instead of 5 Gb after being on for couple of days. The only thing I did that could have remotely changed this is I reset my switch and WiFi bridge due to slow and intermittent internet connection. Otherwise a complete mystery.

John N1JM