Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

How Accommodate Multiple Headset / Mics ?

Options
N3PS
N3PS Member ✭✭
I'm currently operating a FTDX3000 which can easily accommodate use of either my Heil PR781 mic w/ hand switch or Heil Pro Set Elite Headset w/ hand switch. I am considering buying the 6400m, but see it only has a single microphone jack, and it's located on the back panel.

How are folks who use / switch between headset and microphone operation handling this? Is some type of switch box available somewhere or is the only solution to use a USB headset which operates through my PC?

Having to pull the unit to swap cables on the back is not workable (practical) for me . . .
Tagged:

Best Answer

• N3PS
    N3PS Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks Craig . . . Glad to see such a device exists . . . If I'm already shelling out $3,400, not feeling the need to build and save a $1 if an off the shelf device already exists :)

Answers

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Why not just build a box with the appropriate connectors and a switch?

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Or, if you just want to buy one, go to Amazon and search for 3.5mm TRS Switch box. They have a nice variety for very reasonable prices. Add a M-M patch cable, and you are ready to go.

But, as Geoff noted, building one is trivial. All the parts needed are available at Amazon.

73, Craig KØCF

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

I incorporated a mic switch into my TeensyMaestro. It changes mic profiles based on a config file parameter on an SD card. It only switches between two mics. In my case, I have a Heil HM-12 dynamic mic and a Yamaha CM-500 headset with an electret mic.

Most will not want to build a TeensyMaestro just to get this feature, but if there is enough interest, I would be happy to create the Teensy 4.1 software to allow switching multiple mics and setting their mic profiles accordingly. The Teensy 4.1 board plus ethernet jack and cable is around $36 USD. You would need jacks and a switch and a project box to finish it off.

Things that could be incorporated very easily would be an out of band indicator based on license class, "permanent" spots to show favorite frequencies, nets, repeaters, etc. as well as a memory keyer. These items would port easily from the TeensyMaestro and would take little to no extra hardware (just jacks and buttons for the keyer).

Let me know here if you are interested and what additional features (if any) that you would like to see. If even a few folks want this, I will start a new topic and start working on it.

• MarkS
    MarkS Member ✭✭
    Options

When I’m using computer based SmartSDR on the PC, I pick the microphone I want from “mixer” software. I leave multiple microphones plugged in. Desk mic, headset mic, Bluetooth headset. I have each assigned to a different mixer channel so that the audio levels are correct. Adding complexity, I have Elgato Wave, which adds virtual effects (equalizer, noise gate, noise reduction, audio compression etc.) which is customized for each microphone. I just make sure I have only one microphone selected at a time. I use an external PTT connected to Serial/USB and FRStack for keying via a hand switch and foot switch connected in parallel. I don’t need to make any changes in SmartSDR when I change microphones.

If I was using microphones attached to the rear radio input, I’d have an outboard mixer, and essentially mimic the same set up. It’s called Flex for a reason - lots of ways to set it up. Mark - wd9jen.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.