Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

No PC/Remote Audio Input to radio after v3.3.33 w/local PTT

Options

I'm creating this post to garner some attention to a station breaking bug, that seems to be getting 0 attention or traction from FRS.

On 6400/6600/m radios with any software past v3.3.33, transmit audio sent remotely or via PC Audio is not working if you key the radio with a hardware switch attached to PTT IN.

So, if you use the radio the way it was intended, with digital I/O (aka PC Audio), local PTT causes all TX audio to be lost.

This represented a new bug I quickly discovered and reported with v3.3.41 back in mid-February and it was assigned defect number SMART-9340 – Hardware PTT overrides PC Mic Input (possible regression). I've followed up a few times since then and the same answer is always given. No ETA, no further information and not even a confirmation this is something that will ever be fixed in a future update.

Are there any other stations experiencing this issue and would like to see it fixed? How long is too long to wait for serious regressions to be resolved? It is FRS's policy to only keep N-1 versions of the software available, so, how long till they remove the working versions and I become stuck with a radio I can't get audio to. I have multiple radios in the shack that all source audio from the PC, this cuts down on opportunity for RFI ingress and allows consistent and flexible operation no matter which piece of gear is being used. I'm disappointed to see that this is how Flex treats their customers. Because of this issue I shy away from using this kit on voice modes these days, and I have to seriously question if a Flex radio belongs in the shack. Sad. Not to mention broken DAX drivers and their continuing incompatibility with default Windows 11 security features (Core Isolation), and their ever-pending rewrite.

Comments

• rdwing
    rdwing Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, that stinks...for sure I would have thought that other stations were having this problem.

Can anyone share how they've done their setup to not have this issue?

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@rdwing I'm running 3.4.24 I don't see this issue.

• rdwing
    rdwing Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Ed, thanks for the reply. So you are using PC audio for your input mic signal with a local PTT and you have no problems with transmitting? I will have to try it. Thanks.

• rdwing
    rdwing Member ✭✭
    Options

Circling back to the fact that this bug SMART-9340 is still not fixed in 3.5.8.

Just to reiterate, if you use a PTT connected to the radio, when you key the radio via that PTT, PC or iOS or Remote audio is lost for transmitting. So, if you use a footpedal connected to your radio to key up, and you use PC audio you will have no transmit.

• Dev_Ranger
    Dev_Ranger Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @rdwing I'm seeing this too! I've been stuck on v3.3.33 for awhile now due to this. Contacting @Flex_Radio went nowhere & the customer support was extremely lacking. (I'm very disappointed)

If I can't local PTT and use PC audio, that means I can't sit back & relax using the radio the way I want to. @Flex_Radio please fix your software bugs and stop sweeping them under the rug... It's getting quite annoying. As a software developer myself, this is an easy fix so why is it taking so long to make?

Support your products and the users! Companies who don't do that see A LOT of backlash- Just saying.

Very Respectfully, 73's.
  • ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Running 3.5.8. Just realized. I don't have this problem because I run VOX all the time. Remote and otherwise. I also don't see the big deal. You can build a USB device to key the rig. If you can't do it. I'm sure there is someone out there that can do it for you.

• Dev_Ranger
    Dev_Ranger Member
    Options
    > @ka9ees said:
    > Running 3.5.8. Just realized. I don't have this problem because I run VOX all the time. Remote and otherwise. I also don't see the big deal. You can build a USB device to key the rig. If you can't do it. I'm sure there is someone out there that can do it for you.

That's the issue @ka9ees we shouldn't need to buy some USB keyer to ptt. The functionality was there in older versions and during an update it broke and they haven't fixed it.

The other issue is people who run foot switches for both ptt and amp keying.

I dunno why all of ya'll just think to go run out and spend money on stuff like that and claim "it's a non-issue" when you clearly have ran into the same thing and just shilled out $$$ to work around the issue instead of addressing it.
  • ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Dev_Ranger Like I said. I use VOX. Doesn't cost a thing.

I am curious though. At what version did it break?

• Dev_Ranger
    Dev_Ranger Member
    Options
    > @ka9ees said:
    > @Dev_Ranger Like I said. I use VOX. Doesn't cost a thing.
    > I am curious though. At what version did it break?

bruh- @ka9ees read up...
  • ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Dev_Ranger I'm not your "bruh". I have no trouble using SmartSDR or SmartSDR for iOS. I need not read up. I just learned not to whine.

• Dev_Ranger
    Dev_Ranger Member
    Options
    > @ka9ees said:
    > @Dev_Ranger I'm not your "bruh". I have no trouble using SmartSDR or SmartSDR for iOS. I need not read up. I just learned not to whine.

@ka9ees maybe you need to learn how to English better- And if you read up, it's clearly stated that the issue began after v3.3.33. So you should read up...

Not everyone uses vox (thank god) and we're not gonna use vox just to use the radio.

So, that being said: I'm done wasting time on you. If you don't have anything further to contribute to the thread, please don't bog it up with nonsense & "workarounds" that require purchasing extra hardware or just by saying "use vox!".

Flex should fix the issue that exists instead of sweeping it under the rug and/or acting like it doesn't exist or hasn't been reported.

Have a great day! :)
    73s,
    King 7 Charles Boy Lincoln
  • rdwing
    rdwing Member ✭✭
    Options

So here we are now with version 3.6.8, and from the release notes it looks like defect SMART-9340 still has not been resolved.

So, if you use PC audio in/out, using a hardware PTT connected to the radios PTT in will result in no TX audio.

This regression defect was raised a year ago now. Are there just no plans to fix this?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.