Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

HOW TO USE LINK LOCAL TO CONNECT 6400 TO COMPUTER

Options

My 6400 will not connect directly to computer. It did connect when the 6400 was new, 3 months ago. I wonder what I'm doing wrong or how do I fix it? Or is there another way to connect directly? Thanks for any suggestions. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Ken, K5GI

Best Answer

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

knewberry

I am confused regarding your previous question on "Using StartLink to connect to your Flex Radio?"

Do you mean you want to connect away from home using SmartLink? If yes, you must upgrade StarLink to a Service with a public IP. And.....you will not use your StartLink Router....because you can configure port forwarding. StarLink will work with third-party routers that allow port forwarding....You will put the StarLink Router in the bridge mode and use the RJ45 adapter to connect to the WAN port of the third-party router.

If you mean you want to connect to your Flex Radio at home using the StarLink Router.....just use your StarLink RJ45 adapter and plug it into a simple TCP switch....Then plug the radio and computer into the switch. Done. You do not need to upgrade StarLink, and you do not need a public IP for local access.

Alan. WA9WUD

Answers

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Once connected did you cycle the computer and radio?

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Knewberry... how are you trying to connect to your radio -- via local network (i.e. wi-fi), via the internet?, via StarLink?

Are the radio and computer in the same room? Can you connect an ethernet cable (CAT6+) directly between them?

• knewberry
    knewberry Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Ronald and Don, Yes Ronald, I have cycled it through several times with no results.

Don. It works fine with T Mobile internet router. I have a Starlink setup I'm wanting to use, but am waiting on an adapter from Starlink. Meanwhile I want to connect radio directly to computer. It worked when I first got the 6400, but now they won't connect. They are side by side and yes, I have a cable connecting them. Should work, but no luck yet. Thanks and have a nice Thanksgiving and weekend, 73 Ken

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2023
    Options

For a link local connection to work, both the radio and computer interfaces need to be set for DHCP (auto address assignment). When each side times out waiting for an address, they will assign themselves local IP addresses.

Just check that the radio is set for DHCP, and also the PC.

• knewberry
    knewberry Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Ted, I'll give it a try. 73. Ken

• knewberry
    knewberry Member ✭✭
    Options

• knewberry
    knewberry Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Alan, I going to hook it up exactly like you suggested. I have the switch already, and the ethernet adapter is ordered and on the way. Thanks so much for the info. 73. Ken K5GI

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.