Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

TunerGeniusXL 1x3 powered off state

Options
K5CG
K5CG Member ✭✭

I have this tuner and haven't been able to figure out what state it might be in when powered off.

Turning off the power prevents you from keying the Flex for some seconds (maybe 30) with an indication of "Interlock is preventing transmission AMP:TG". OK, that goes away soon.

But when you key the transmitter it doesn't appear that the RF goes anywhere. Furthermore, the transmit power drops continuously and there is no SWR at all.

My antenna is on port 1. RX signals go away compleletely so I know it is disconnected. I have a dummy load on port 3 and it has some SWR (predictable) but that is also not what I am seeing here.

I see no mention of this in the manual. One might expect it would go into bypass on port 1 by default.

Q: What output port of the TGXL (1x3) is connected to the transmitter when the tuner is powered off?

Thanks

Danny

Cross posted from FlexRadioSmartSDR@groups.io

Tagged:

Answers

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    Options

Now I have my answer. After moving my antenna around from port to port with the TGXL power off it is clear that NO PORT is connected to the radio.

Is this a bug or should it be a feature request?

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

If it's the same as the 4O3A antenna switch's are designed It is a feature ALL ports are grounded when not in use I can't remember if the Radio bort is grounded or open circuit but I know the Antenna ports go to chassis ground.

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Bret,

I've owned a few tuners over the years, and never have any of them block RF when there is no power. Maybe you want all the ports to be grounded and maybe you don't. It would be nice to have the option.

I tried to post on 4O3A's community forums but could not submit the message even after completing the CAPTCHA. "Invalid Keys" error, so I've opened a ticket with them with some questions.

It might go nowhere.

Thanks

Danny

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@K5CG I have a 1x3 and am quite happy with it not passing RF when powered down. My Palstar HF-AUTO did the same thing.

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Odd that you don't see an infinite SWR on CW or TUNE transmit initially, as the Antenna port is not connected.

W7NGA

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@W7NGA Odd indeed. No SWR indication at all.

@ka9ees I just sold my Palstar HF-AUTO (the older 1500 W version) and it absolutely did pass through when the power was switched off. Maybe yours was different.

I opened a ticket with 4O3A and they said that the TGXL does not pass through when the power is off and that the hardware is not capable of it. But they understood the risks (potential damage to a transmitter) and liked the idea and would take it into account for a future version.

That's the answer. I just don't want to believe it. SMH

• w2hx
    w2hx Member
    Options
    it would be great if you can define a "default off port." for example, maybe someone wants RF to go to a dummy load when it is "off" or GROUND as selected by the user

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.