Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Cellular provider recommendation for use with Smartlink

Options

My Flex support ticket was closed with the end result of Flex determining that my cell provider, T-Mobile, is not compatible with Smartlink for remote operation. I am not prepared to change my primary cell provider. I am looking for a recommendation of a cell provider that offers a stand alone cellular hotspot that is known to work successfully with Smartlink.

I would appreciate any comments.Bob, KN4HH

Tagged:

Comments

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭
    Options

Thats ODD . . . I have a RFinder B1+ ht that is android based and I use RC Forbes Remote Hams Client on it. I have Mint Mobile which is T-mobile and can remote into my 6500 flawlessly.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The reasons RCForb works is because it is totally different lower security 3rd party type of Remote base software and uses different network technologies, It is great software as I have ran a RCForb remote here for MANY YEARS with great success but is a lot easier to be hacked then the built in SmartLink.

For me to run SmartLink /SmartSDR reliably using T-Mobile I have to use my SoftEther server VPN at home for my IPhone and IPAD's built in VPN client.

I wish there was a Android App for SmartSDR and a IOS App for RCForb, If there was I would trash my IPhones and IPads and go strictly Android devices.

• Bob  KN4HH
    Bob KN4HH Member ✭✭
    Options

I use RCForb to remote my Ic-7300 on my wife’s android phone. I can also remote my IC-7300 using RSBA1 using a windows laptop and my T-Mobile hotspot only because the data structure is not the same as Flex.

Thanks for your comments.

Bob, KN4HH

• John K3MA
    John K3MA Member ✭✭
    Options

I am assuming your talking about this in the context of an Android or iPhone accessing a cellular tower. If not and you are talking about T-mobile and their home service which also accesses through the cellular tower and provides the home user with a router for home use there is a solution. The regular home service does not allow port forwarding but if you get a business EIN number (easy to apply online via the IRS website) then you can request the router they will provide as a business. I believe it is a small monthly extra charge $15+/- but with that, you get a Static Public IP address and also the ability to do port forwarding.

I suspect this is not your case but just in case it is or someone else comes around that might find this information of use.

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Verizon

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.