Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

how to make Macssdr and SDC and multiflex with flex 6600M

Options
K3SF
K3SF Member ✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in SmartSDR for Mac

Hi all

the setup here is flex 6600m with 3.5.9

and

multiple mac minis running sonoma

i can easily setup SDC to connect to main screen of 6600m

and SKM skimmer of SDC works fine

but

i cannot not make macssdr multiflex connect as radio ip address is same for both clients

and

there is no way to tell SDC which one is which

it is a matter of ip address and port id the differentiate main screen vs macsssdr multiflex connection...???

and

Has any one else try to run SDC with multiflex connection ???

Thanks

Paul K3SF

Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Paul

Perhaps SDC is not MultiFlex aware. I am just guessing for now. Others in the know, please comment.

MultiFlex assigns slice set numbers on a first-ask basis. So, a non-MultiFlex aware app will see the sices in the sequence they were started between the two clients.

Try this.

Disconnect all clients.

Open the first Client and set up two slices. These will be Slice(slice set number): A(0), B(1)

Open the second Client and two slices. These will be A(2), B(3).

Now, if SDC is not MultiFlex aware, it will see:

• Client One Slice A, as Slice A
    • Client One Slice B, as Slice B
    • Client Two, Slice A, as Slice C
    • Client Two, Slice B, as Slice D.

Alan. WA9WUD

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

i have come to the conclusion the SDC is NOT multiflex aware...

Alan...i tried you test and results

with client one ( main screen of 6600m)

and

with client two macssdr onmac mini (m1)

the SDC setup forces me to use radio IP

and

only sees client one

it uses smartsdr API as an interface

as a doubkle checkof setupo i ran Xdax and Xcat

and

they are multiflex aware

i have contact Yuri via google group and he said for me to try using the radio's nickname

but

SDC could not discover the radio and complete the connection

the 6600m and mac are on the same node of the network

connect via gigabit switch

so no multiflex SDC is how i am seeing it right now ...

i'll keep experimenting ;-)

Paul K3SF

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Erik Carling EI4KF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This is on a multiflex client. So effectively 2x SDC are running on separate clients. I cannot work out in my head what else you are trying to do. 1x SDC to a different machine? But what would be the benefit?

This is on Windows so that is probably where my lack of cognisance stems from.

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi Erik

What i could use from you erik is how you setup each SDC...most importantly the SDC SMartAPI configuration...fro main radio connect and multiflex radio connection...

yep they are the same IP address for radio...but are the TCP port and UDP port different ???

understood..

First some background info about my setup

I run a flex 6600m and use its main screen client most of the time.

I use Macs which have a version of DAX and CAT called xDAx and xCAT that allow me to connect to the radio that the main screen client is in control of to run software like wsjtx and fldigi

i can run SDC off the main screen client with no problem cause SDC uses the radio IP address to connect

as another client just like xDax and xCAT ( see attach pic)

and

SDC uses xDax for DAXIQ datastream and smartsdr API and not xCAT for commands

No Problem

MY problem arises when i start macSSDR on any of my mac's also running xDAX and xCAT

this makes a multiflex connection to the 6600m...where i am able to run another instance of wsjtx or fldigi

when i try to run SDC on that mac, the SDC setup wants the ip address of the radio which is the same as the mains screen but it doesnt know how to connect same as the multiflex client...soit defaults to mains screen client connection

i have been able to force thru the multiflex datastream using xDax but the freq control stays with the main screen client...not the macssdr client (multiflex connected)

Now you wonder why i would want to do this....

main reason being is i can set up one client to do 'band surveying' to see if it hears anything i need or a dxpediton i am hunting. nice to be there before pileup gets big ;-)) That is how band surveying helps me.

One flex radio running two slice in survey mode and two slices used for making contacts and casual listening.

operating this way helped me get DXCC HR...

i was running cwskimmer in windows virtual machine on the mac at the time

but

with not to full extent i just described as i used a separate radio for casual listening

This wsjtx two slices from mains screen client of 6600m

i can run macssdr and cancel the main screen client and run four slices on four different bands of wsjtx

also i send all the survey data to macdxlogger (mldx) as cluster spots and use it filtering capability to send me alarms...

Paul K3SF

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello Paul,

I will test out how I understand what you want to do tomorrow. But be prepared for me not getting a grasp of your intent! Meanwhile any extra instances of SDC on your network (ie hosted by the Multiflex clients) will only connect the TCP port. However, to overcome that issue, instead of having the Skimmer control for these extra SDCs set to SmartSDR API, set them to DAX IQ + SmartSDR. Set the relevant Device In to match the IQ stream(s) in use. This how I had SDC on my Multiflex client connect when I made the picture yesterday. But I know that is not the same as you want to achieve so I will have to test so that a 2nd SDC is actually working with the Multiflex stream, if indeed it can be done.

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Erik

I assume SDC is a Flex "Non-GUI" client.

A non-GUI client must "Bind" to a GUI client so that the Non-GUI TCP commands to the GUI Client (Smart SDR) and the GUI-Client's status TCP commands are directed to the Non-GUI client.

If SDC is "MultiFlex" aware:

• The SDC instance will identify the name and ID of all available GUI Clients (SmartSDR, Maestro, etc).
    • The SDC instance will bind to a selected GUI Client
    • The Flex Radio will send slice status information to the Non-GUI client (SDC), so that it knows the slice number(slice letter) allocation.

A non-MultiFlex aware, Non-GUI client (what we think SDC is now) will bind to the first GUI client it sees and use slice assignments A(0), B(1), C(2), D(3)

Alan. WA9WUD

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

Hello Alan,

OK thank you. I get it. As you say, SDC is not Multiflex aware and that means Paul cannot achieve his goal unless Yuri ever makes it so.

Erik.

• K3SF
    K3SF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

HI all

I want to thank everyone on this subject...

Knowing the limits of s/w helps makes easier to use, too.

Keeps frustration level down just knowing what it can and cannot do;-)

PaulK3SF