Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Setting LoTW certificate and SmartSDR for Mac OS ?

Options

On my Windows PC I have external logging programs happily coexisting with LoTW and its TQSL certificate process . SmartSDR for Mac OS has an improved internal logging feature that I would prefer to use. I am having a basic problem though, setting things up in SmartSDR for Mac. Marcus is not very tolerant of my requests for help, he seems to think I am "not wanting to understand" his manual.

It appears that one must click on Preferences under SmartSDR for Mac's Log/LoTW tab and then load the P12 file . My P12 file created by TQSL has no password , since one is not required according to ARRL . I do not have a password in P12 for Windows logging programs like DX Keeper. SmartSDR for Mac kept insisting that I provide a password and Marcus seemed to think I was not very sensible for thinking a password was not needed . So, I used TQSL to save a new copy of my P12 file and chose the option to create a password in hopes of satisfying Marcus and SmartSDR for Mac. However, after going through the process again in SmartSDR for Mac's log program , after entering the password SmartSDR for Mac said P12 could not be opened because I did not have permission to open it (see attached screenshot ).

Assuming Marcus is correct , and I am lacking in common sense , anyone have an an idea what I am doing wrong?

Comments

• Dan Trainor
    Dan Trainor Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I had a similar problem several months ago, but for the life of me I can't remember how I solved it. I was trying similar things as to what you are. If my memory comes back, I will let you know. I do know that it was frustrating and painful.

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Dan, I will keep trying.

Andy K3UK

• MrMophandle
    Options
    I too am running into this problem. I regenerated a p12 file in TQSL, put a password on it, and tried to upload into SmartSDR for Mac's Log/LoTW tab. I constantly get a 'wrong password or wrong file' error. I have the password saved on my clipboard, and I'm cutting/pasting when I generate it, and when I upload it. I've also typed it in manually with no luck.
  • jimr
    jimr Member
    Options
    I also have the same problem (no password on original p12 file, tried adding a password on saving it from TQSL but Marcus SmartSDR did not accept it.) Anyone have a solution?
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Same here.

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

• AA5SH
    AA5SH Member ✭✭
    Options

Did yall notice this in the help? Not sure which version TQSL you are using.

• jimr
    jimr Member
    Options
    FIXED!

So my configuraion is:
    MacOS Sonoma 14.2.1 Mac M1 Ultra
    TQSL 2.7.2 data version 11.27 *** note version number ***
    SmartSDR 2.9.05 (234801)

In the TQSL 2.7.2 release notes, there is a note about generating a P12 file for the macos keychain implying it is using an "older" encryption

fix procedure
    1. Make sure you are using at least TQSL v2.7.2
    2. In TQSL, go to settings/Options and check the box with P12 apple keychain compatibility
    3. save your p12 certificate with a password and load it into smartsdr log tool

<satire mode>
    Yes, it was intuitively obvious.
    </satire mode>

jim KA3LXM