Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

RFI on Lan Network,

Options

Hi All

I think I am getting some RFI on my LAN as when I am TX'ing on FT8 I noticed that from time to time the Network indicator goes red,

I want to redo my LAN cables around the house as there is a mix up of loads of different ones,

What would people recommend for a decent but not big budget setup.

I have 1GB Fiber internet and currently use 3 Access points for WIFI, I have at least 3 PC's and a couple of TV boxes all fed from the LAN,

I thought I remember reading that Flex do not recommend the use of shielded Lan cables, is this still the case,

I look forward to any pointers as I know nothing about LAN networks,

Trevor

EI2GLB

Comments

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Trevor, I have exactly the same problem. I use snap-on ferrites on all of my ethernet cables, including cables that are not radio related.

That cured most of my issues. The rest of my problem was USB cables to my PC. I put ferrites on all of my computer cables and that fixed everything.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I just changed all of my Radio including Computer equipment cables from CAT-5 and CAT-6 cables to CAT-8 Jumper cables.

I did notice a big improvement in Network stability while running Full legal power.

CAT-8 cables have a outside shield and the 4 Individual pairs of wires also have Shielding on them, I have NOT noticed any issues at all and as long as you are NOT using the CAT cables Shield as the main equipment ground then you should be just fine.

CAT-8 Cables and connectors are quite expensive right now and I wish I could afford to do the whole house with CAT-8 BUT so far I think there worth the investment on the radio equipment.

A word of caution: if you decide to make your own and use BULK CAT-8 cable and Connectors there are a couple of YouTube videos of the guys making them TOTALLY wrong and cutting off the shield and drain wires when installing the connectors, These need to be attached to the Connector shell's shield.

Just my two cents

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.