Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

5B-VUX xvtr has RF Output on Simplex but not offset

Options

Trying to get my Q5 Signal 5B-VUX transverter going. Believe I have all worked out except that when I try to use FM on 2 mtrs, I have RF output on simplex but no RF output when I do a - or + offset for a repeater. I have a hunch that it is a DAX misconfiguration problem but open to suggestions. I have enclosed pics of many of the settings. I have the xvtr connected correct to the common xvtr output on the back of the Flex 6600m going into RX IF Com on the back of the 5BVUX. I had to add an RCA phono plug connection between TX1 on the Flex and the RCA phono plug connection marked PTT on the transverter before RF would come out the 5BVUX even though I also have a FTDI USB Cable from Q5 connecting between the xvtr and transceiver. This connections seems to read everything correctly. It can change bands automatically between the 5 transverters contained in the 5B-VUX, follows frequency set by the memory or SmartSDR, as well as mode. Just need offset + and - transmission to have RF.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Don AC0UH

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Don Achelpohl
    Don Achelpohl Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Len, KD0RC,

Well, your first response did assist me in achieving RF output from the 5B-VUX on 144 MHz. It's amazing that one can review the boxes and data you have entered only not to do it properly! My transverter is not lighting up 9 LEDs but only 8 but that means I should be coming close to achieving the full 25 watts out that the 5B-VUX can do without distortion. (I did the prescribed calibration here in the shack running the output into a MFJ dry dummy load rated at 50 ohms). The calibration called for setting it to light 9 LEDs running CW output. I set it so the 9th LED just came on, believing a little too low is much better than setting too high and risking distortion on my output. I don't have anthing here to read RF output other than the LED RF Power Output on the front of the 5B-VUX. Google Earth tells me I am 16.5 miles from Davenport, IA as the 'crow flies' from my residence in Orion, IL. I believe this would be adequate power to the Comet Triband 333 mounted on my rooftop and fed with high quality cable. I know I have heard the repeater on other days and voices over it. I have also tried other repeaters listed on my memory channels of the Flex 6000m and I am not able to raise them either. I have double checked the listings for the repeaters CTCSS tones and I know I am correct on my CTCSS tone settings.

I have also tried to announcing "AC0UH monitoring 52 Simplex" in hopes someone will come back to me on simplex. No go so far. I may even try to "QRZ, QRZ, this is AC0UH monitoring 146.52 simplex, Alpha Charlie, Zero, United, Hotel monitoring," to give more time for any one scanning the two meters' frequencies.

In the second message you left me, you responsed to the receive antenna image that I included. I included this image as I came across other hams with questions including this image when discussing transmission and receiving from repeaters. However, I believe in trying to capture this 'receiving image' by clicking on " + RCV " on the left of the SmartSDR screen I actually at that point created a new slice for receiving. I don't believe I need to have two slices open and that I should NOT click on "+RCR" when trying to use repeater. I believe my one slice (A) should automatically shift the transmit to the proper frequency 0.600 MHz lower in this case 146.100 MHz and the receive stays at 146.700 MHz when the mic is not pressed. On your Flex can you see the TX frequency change and revert back to the receive frequency when the mic is pressed and released? It seems like this should be the case and with one slice (I am trying to work with Slice A).

I have also tried to create and use two slices one at 146.100 for TX and 146.700 receive. I also tried the reverse of this, using 146.100 for receive and 145.700 for transmit. In both of these attempts, I used simplex but retained the CTCSS 77.0 tone value.

All Flex Radio come with CTCSS tone modules install do they not? How can I check that my CTCSS unit is working? Other thoughts at this point. I am really excited about getting my 5BVUX going properly and having my new station location at ground level where I can have really good grounding capabilities.

I have 'ran on' enough - probably over thinking the whole thing. I know Flex radio has created an easy way to do this - I just don't have something small right yet.

Enclosed one more image of the settings, hope this help,

Thanks again for the assistance Len,

73's,

Don AC0UH

• Don Achelpohl
    Don Achelpohl Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Len,

Corrected the Dax active, and ACC active (now non-blue). Also deactivated PROC which was unable to be seen in the early pic (simpler is better, right). Tried to make my screens match yours but with my CtCSS tone of 77. I can see RF on transverter (sent pic of 6600m and xtvr). Still don't seem to trip the repeater.

Other ideas.

Thanks for your extended help and patiencem

Don AC0UH

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Don, you still have your receive antenna (blue) set to ANT1. Set it to XVTA (same as transmit next to it in red). Now you will be able to hear the repeater when you key it up.

• Don Achelpohl
    Don Achelpohl Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Len, KD0RC,

😀Oh happy day! Yes, now I can bring the repeater up. I haven't found anyone to give me a report but I will continue to listen and I am sure the repeater will be active sometime.

Thanks again Len for all the help, patience, and guidance. This should get me on the Davenport Radio Amateur Club two nets tomorrow evening. As I begin to explore and experience the VHF UHF bands, it will offer a whole new experience. Thanks for helping the 'old dog' to learn some new tricks!

73's,

Don

Answers

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Don, your offset is 600 MHz that should be 0.6 MHz. Give that a try and all should be well.

CAT and DAX are not used in this context, so no issues there.

• KD0RC
    edited October 2023
    Options

OH, I just noticed that your receive antenna is set to ANT1, that should probably be XVTA since you are operating (I think) in common IF.

Yes, our repeater here is also on 146.700!

• Don Achelpohl
    Don Achelpohl Member ✭✭
    Options

Oops - the image.

Image and same in file.

Don AC0UH

• KD0RC
    Options

Hi Don, I'm glad that got you going!

One thing that I notice on your latest pic is that you have the +ACC and possibly the DAX buttons lit. I assume you are taking audio from a mic plugged into the radio, not connected to the 15 pin accessory connector or audio from a program running on the computer. If that is correct, then turn off +ACC and DAX and I think you will be heard.

With the OPT screen set as you have it, when you push the PTT or MOX, you will transmit on 146.100, and will be able to see that on your panadapter if you set it wide enough. Whether you have a second slice open or not won't matter. The whole transaction takes place on the TX slice.

What I like to do during 2 meter net operations is to set the second slice on the repeater input frequency. Note that this is NOT required to operate the repeater. The second slice allows me to hear the repeater input when someone is having problems hitting the repeater, but is close enough for me to hear them directly. I can often relay a "hand-held in a basement" guy to net control (yes, this happens...).

You mention "tone modules". The Flex radios all have the equivalent, but there is no actual hardware module. With SDR, it is all done in software 🙂. Note that the Flex can generate the transmitted tone to open a repeater, but does not have tone squelch for the receive side.

Finally, good enough (i.e. reasonably priced) 2 meter capable power/SWR meters are available on Amazon. I still use the analog one I got at Radio Shack over 30 years ago. The current crop is available in digital or analog form. The digital ones are a bit more expensive, though I doubt that they are more accurate.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.