Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

My QRG on the display....

Options
Is there any way to set up the panadapter display to keep my QRG in the center while I
tune the radio? In other words the band will go up and down as I tune but my QRG will
always be centered. Thanks and 73, Art W8XW

Answers

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

How would that work?

Suppose you are zoomed to a bandwidth of 100KHz on 20 Meters. Your frequency is 14.200MHz and is centered on the display. So, you are seeing 14.150 to 14.250. What happens when you tune to 14.300?

Now the window is 14.250-14.350.

How can your frequency be centered? It is 50KHz off to the left.

• W8XW
    W8XW Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hello Geoff and thanks for the answer. It would seem to me that if I were tuned to 14.200 and the zoom was set to +/- 50 kHz, yes you would be seeing 14.150 to 14.250, with my QRG centered. I follow that. But if I were to tune up to 14.300 with the zoom still set to +/- 50 kHz then I would be seeing 14.250 to 14.350 and I would still be centered. But only if the setup can be made to do it the way I described. That was the question. I hope a Flex guy will check in here. 73, Art W8XW
  • Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    Options

OK, I was assuming by QRG you were talking about your transmit frequency and you wanted to keep that frequency as your transmit frequency.

i was thinking that by "tune" you meant that you were dragging the window left or right.

Sorry for the confusion.

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    Options

Kind of like the old-school radios, where you have a window-with-fiducial-line in the center, and as you tune, the dial rotates underneath the fiducial. Except in this SmartSDR case, the entire panafall and band "slide" along, side-to-side. Slice-flag and "where you are" remain centered and stattionary.

I like it! Extra points for the vintage orange-ish glow and some slight vignetting (darkening) in the corners!

• W8XW
    W8XW Member ✭✭
    Options
    Geoff those comments were 6 years old so it seems someone made that suggestion back then.
    So maybe it will get implemented, maybe not.

Gord, your description was much easier to understand than my original question. Thanks for jumping in.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Idea was submitted 7 years ago by Joe / N9VX...

The suggested options are shown in the mockup I made at the link below.

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

6600 SSDR V3.4.24

TGXL 1.1.20

PGXL 3.7.32

Win10 Pro V2004

https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/6531883/my-frequency-on-the-panadpter

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Also here is a previous idea submitted 10 years ago...same suggestion and the UI changes as presented above would also address this previous idea.

https://community.flexradio.com/discussion/5795792/slice-a-should-be-centered-after-frequency-change-via-cat

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

6600 SSDR V3.4.24

TGXL 1.1.20

PGXL 3.7.32

Win10 Pro V2004

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    Options

Al,

I ended up fixing it myself by writing my SDRAutoCenter utility (https://k9dur.us/smartsdr_utilities.php). Unfortunately, I will not help with the Maestro, but it does a good job with the PC client.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    Options

Art,

My SDRAutoCenter utility (https://k9dur.us/smartsdr_utilities.php) does exactly that. It has 2 modes of operation:

1. As you tune, the panadapter shifts to keep the slice centered.
    2. As you approach the edge of the panadapter, the panadapter shifts to put the slice near the other end of the panadapter.

73, Ray, K9DUR

• Erik Carling EI4KF
    Options

What is wrong with using SDRAutoCentre by K9DUR? It is a small utility which will allow you to keep the currently active slice centered in the panadapter as you tune around the band. 

• W8XW
    W8XW Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for all that work you do Ray. I will try your software for sure.
    73, Art W8XW
  • Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I read this item with great interest, and thought what a great idea. Then it occurred to me that SSDR for Mac had something like this on-board, and, lo and behold, IT DOES!!

I have just tried it out and it works brilliantly. The slice stays in the centre, and the pan adaptor moves across like magic as I turn the 6600M tuning dial. It is very responsive.

If you have SSDR for Mac, you have to select slice options under "slice" at the top. Then click to activate "Change slices frequency with Panadaptor (centre slice)" and also click to activate "Centre Panadaptor for active slice".

Good old Marcus does it again!!

Agreed that I can find no way to do this on the SSDR Microsoft software.

Hope that helps.

73 Mike G4GWH

• W8XW
    W8XW Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for joining us Mike. But I don't do Mac computers.
  • Mike Steventon
    Mike Steventon Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Understood!

Long live the freedom of choice!!

I don't do Windows computers (although I have windows 10 in Apple boot-camp, which allows me to update things like latest firmware on TGXL etcetera).

Best Regards.

Mike.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.