Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR & DAX resource usage

Options

I have run into a problem installing SmartSDR on a pc that is also running other SDR programs for other SDR radios. It seems that if I install SmartSDR and DAX that there are so many resources in the Audio section of Windows RESERVED for DAX and SmartSDR that it prevents other programs from accessing some of those resources that had previously been working before SmartSDR and DAX were installed.

One program in particular , Thetis that I use with an Anan 8000DLE looses the microphone input audio completely even though SmartSDR and DAX are not running at the time. If I uninstall SmartSDR and DAX, the microphone input starts working again. I know there have been past posts about similar problems with SmartSDR and DAX hogging resources. But, I would have thought this issue would have been resolved long before now.

I think one can go into Windows settings and UN-reserve those resources. But, I think the next time SmartSDR and/or DAX are started, the entries get changed again and other applications cannot use those resources.

Any suggestions besides giving SmartSDR or Thetis it's own computer? I can do that, but, it is a pain to have to deal with more than one computer to do different things.

James

WD5GWY

Comments

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I would range that into a local Windows setup problem, or a Thetis Problem. I have a Gen8 Intel Xeon here and i can SIMULTANEOUSLY :

Share my FTDX101D with RCFORB , use the Flex5000a/Powersdr.2.80 for 6m and remote control a 6400 a mile away over Wifi link. NO ISSUES at all. And even there is a SDR-Radio server on an rsp1 lurking deep below

I manage all Audio with voicemeeter , which is a minimum requirement to undergo windows unusable audio routing .

Harry DL9NDW

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Harry, thank you for your comments. I can and do run a Flex 5000A on the same computer that I run Thetis on without issue. It's when I install SmartSDR and it's related components that microphone input to Thetis is disrupted. It works fine with the 5000A and SmartSDR. I could avoid the problem by connecting a microphone directly to my Anan 8000DLE. But, given where the radio is physically located, it would present a problem. So, for the 8000DLE I use a USB microphone. I do have a microphone that I can connect directly to 5000A. ( and sometimes do) But, I was hoping to consolidate all my SDR software to a single computer. I honestly don't think it's a Windows or Thetis problem. SmartSDR, on installation of it , CAT and DAX, sets several resources in Windows to "Reserved " which prevents other applications from using those resources. You can delete those Reserved resources in Windows settings, but, then nothing works in SmartSDR or Thetis. You have to reinstall SmartSDR to repair the installation for it to work again. And once you do that, Thetis is blocked from using the Microphone ( USB) again. Why it doesn't block PowerSDR from using the USB microphone as well is a mystery to me. I do have a spare computer that I can use just with Thetis alone. That way, I can do some things I have been trying ( using audio plug-ins to filter Flex audio with DAX and other applications)

James

WD5GWY

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    Options

James,

If you disable some of the unused DAX/Reserved channels it may buy you enough channel space to accomplish your intended operation.

You should disable them in pairs DAX - DAX RESERVED in Playback and Recording. Reboot after disabling.

I have operated with RX5-8 and RX IQ 3-4 disabled.

You may have to do it again after the next Flex update.

YMMV

AL, K0VM

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Al, thanks for the tip. I will give that a try. I had found a setting where you could disallow applications from taking exclusive control of different audio resources in Windows 11. But, after rebooting ( just to be sure it took effect) I still could not use USB MICROPHONE audio input in Thetis with SmartSDR installed.

I will give your suggestion a try.

James

WD5GWY

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Al, thanks for the suggestions. I tried disabling ( in pairs) DAX and IQ in Playback and Recording. Same results, Thetis microphone input audio is disabled and the only way to fix it is to completely uninstall SmartSDR, CAT and DAX. Then, both Thetis and PowerSDR have access to the USB microphone input audio without any problems.

I guess the best thing to do is to install SmartSDR on another computer and keep it separate from the other SDR programs I use. It just doesn't play nice with others!

James

WD5GWY

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Still trying to figure this problem out. Windows 11 does not show any errors when SmartSDR or Thetis is in use ( not at the same time). I can access the USB microphone from PowerSDR and Thetis as long as SmartSDR installed. But if I installSmartSDR( even without CAT & DAX installed) Thetis looses the ability to use the microphone audio. And Windows 11 shows Thetis is using the USB microphone. But, no audio input.

So, even without CAT and DAX installed, the problem exists. SmartSDR is somehow blocking microphone audio to Thetis, even though SmartSDR isn't actually running. I have tried every combination of audio input and output with Virtual Audio Cables. MME, Direct Sound and others, and yet, SmartSDR is preventing microphone audio input to one application ( Thetis).

Uninstall SmartSDR and the problem disappears. So strange.

James

WD5GWY

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I decided to try installing SmartSDR with CAT and DAX with Thetis running in the background. I was pretty certain what would happen. And it did......BSOD...... undefined page fault error. I had half hoped that running Thetis in the background would prevent SmartSDR from taking over the USB microphone input audio from Thetis and then when I would run SmartSDR, it would work correctly.

So, I am running out of ideas on how to fix this problem. SmartSDR or Windows 11, one or the other, is preventing Thetis from using the USB microphone input audio even though SmartSDR isn't actually running. And yet, no errors generated by Windows. Uninstalling SmartSDR removes the problem every time.

James

WD5GWY

• Trucker
    Trucker Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Not sure what was done differently, but I just reinstalled SmartSDR with CAT and DAX and now, I have microphone audio input to Thetis and SmartSDR and my other SDR applications. Maybe, I wasn't holding my left foot off the ground high enough in previous installations! Whatever the reason Windows 11,SmartSDR or the radio fairy, it's now working!!! .. I just hope it sticks!

James

WD5GWY

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.