Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Paddle and SK to "key" jack ?

Options

I operate in one room of the house and the Flex is in another room . There is a hardwire connection direct from the Flex to the CW keys in the "shack".

How can I wire a TRS type connector to the "key" jack on back of the Flex so that I can choose a paddle or SK at the operating position ? The instructions diagram the necessary connection for either a SK or a paddle but I would was wondering how to do both so that I do not have to go from my operating position in to the place the Flex is located and mess around with the plug each time .

Andy K3UK

Answers

• Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The plug doesn't change, just the radio setting on how to handle the 'dash' side; either as electronic keying dashes or manual (bug or straight key).

Alternate is run two cables, one connected to the auxiliary jack - Need another opinion on whether the aux pin connects to the keyer or keys directly.

p.s. Avoid 'SK' as "straight key" - It more strongly represents "Silent Key".

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Andy, I do exactly what you are suggesting. I connect my paddles to the key jack and turn on Iambic. I connect my straight key to pins 4 and 5 of the acc jack (check the manual to be sure that I have the correct pins).

With this set up, I can use either key without changing anything. When I send cut zeroes, I reach my little finger over to the SK to send long dashes. Some folks think I am using a bug 😄.

• KD0RC
    Options

Another thing that you could do is wire the SK across either the dot or dash line and turn off Iambic to use the SK or turn it on to use the paddles.

• Gord-VA7GP
    Gord-VA7GP Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

One more idea:

I often jump, mid-QSO, between Bug, straight-key, and VibroKeyer.

I do this by connecting my VibroKeyer (single-paddle, but same approach works for paddles too) to a WinKeyer. The output of the WinKeyer is essentially "straight-key".

I built a Junction box, with 5x 1/4" jackes and 2x 3.5mm (1/8") jacks. I plug in as many keys / WinKeyers as I wish, and I plug a straight-through 3.5mm - 3.5mm cable from my Junction-box to my Flex 6400. All the jacks in my Junction box are simply parallelled ... very simple, and any jack can be used for key input, or output to my Flex.

Thus, my Flex only ever thinks it's being straight-keyed. I make no alterations or adjustments to my Flex as I shift between various keys.

HTH!

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I have achieved the goal , thanks for the suggestions. I made a terminal block, of sorts, and wired the ethernet CAT cable wires to the block and then three wires to the paddles and two wires to the SK in parallel . All is good, after a year with no key in the shack , I am now enjoying a sidetone and key in same room!

Thanks for your help,

Andy K3UK

• KD0RC
    Options

I'm glad you got it working Andy!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.