Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

mic for iPad?

Options
I'm using an iPad Pro with my 6400 but my SSB is distorted with both the built-in mic and a Sony WH-1000XM5 Bluetooth headset. I have played with all of the settings and shifted the iPad Wi-Fi from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHZ, but no improvement.

I've seen several recommendations on headsets, both Bluetooth (Logitech RS55SL, Koss SB45, Bose QC35) and wired (RadioSport RS 55SL), but I'm not sure it's the headset, since I get the same distortion with the built-in mic.

Any suggestions?

Answers

• RFord
    RFord Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I would suggest you check your setting again. I have along with others have used the internal mic on the iPad and iPhone with very good results. I believe you have something else going on to have distorted audio. Just my 2 cents...

• ka9ees
    ka9ees Member ✭✭✭
    Options
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are 2 mic gain controls in the iPad app. Check the level of each one.

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Make sure that your mic level (as shown on SmartSDR or a Maestro) is not peaking over 0dB. The little peak indicator should never go high enough to turn red. It should peak at around -5 dB.

• Ignacy
    Ignacy Member ✭✭
    Options

Sound in Ipad has very high radio gain. While the MIC gain of SmartSDR under Windows is around 70, it is only about 8 on Ipad.

A $25 portable headset sounds very good. The built-in microphone sounds a bit worse (some echo and ambient noise) but still pretty good. Bose 45 via bluetooth sounds very good.

Ignacy NO9E

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.