Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Dax in SmartSDR for Mac / SmartSDR CAT for MAC ? Lost!

Options

I added a Mac Mini to the shack and like using SmartSDR for MAC OS. After decades of using Windows I am quite lost when it comes to Mac stuff. I am especially lost since after installing SmartSDR for Mac the only Icon I get is SmartSDR, no separate desktop icon for SmartSDRcat or SmartSDR DAX . I I don't see where I can choose which DAX channel I want to use, not an area to set up custom CAT ports as we do in Windows. The result is that when configuring audio paths for software like Fldigi on the Mac , I don't get the familiar dropdown list of DAX ports to select. Thus , although DAX streaming is enabled , I don't see anything in Fldigi. Some Dax stuff must be there on the mac because I can use the native FT8 tool and make QSOs easily .

I have been advised that I could consider Loopback as alternative to DAX but I am not ready for that learning curve, yet

So, any advice on this ?

Andy K3UK

Comments

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I did poke and prod enough to find the place to change DAX channels but Fldigi does not show any DAX channels existing even though SmartSDR for Mac shows DAX RX 1 is streaming BUT it looks like I was on a wild goose chase. I need to do some more virtual audio tricks. That is indeed a royal pain, not difficult but something else to pay for (Loopback ) and I thought I had got away from the VBaudio- VAC days.

Andy K3UK

"Whereas the CAT interface is being used to exchange Radio information and settings between an Application and a radio, the so-called DAX interface, provided by this App, can be used to exchange receive and transmit audio between your external software.

How you have to use this DAX feature depends on the Software you want to use. In general, such software is using the built-in audio interface of your Mac like this App does as well. As long as the software allows to select different audio input and output sources or offers its own Audio interfaces, it is possible to connect the Software with this App.

The DAX feature of this App can be used to connect to additional audio interfaces but for the connection between your external software and this App you will need a so called audio-pass-through driver which simply bridges audio between two audio interfaces.

There are several solutions available for this. There is, for instance, the free of charge Blackhole driver from Existential audio: existential.audio but the ideal driver in combination with SmartSDR for macOS is the Loopback driver rogueamoeba.com/loopback. "

• AA5SH
    AA5SH Member ✭✭
    Options

You will need a program like Loopback by rougue ameba (I think) to connect Dax to the sound card app. If you look in the help file Markus walks you through how to setup Dax. Also notice his has 25% coupon for it.

Michael, AA5SH

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

You also have the restriction of a single DAX or CAT interface with SSDR for Mac - i.e. one slice. Only way to have multiple slices available to multiple digital apps is to ALSO use xDax and xCat (which are free!)

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the replies. I have a trial version of Loopback and have been successful in setting up the audio paths in Fldigi. Ted, I think you are correct about the CAT DAX limitations in the Mac version. A significant issue that I was not aware of.

Andy K3UK