Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6500 direct connect to pc

Options
Steve Belcak
Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
edited July 2023 in Networking

Using 3.4.23 with a 6500....wifi in my house is free but to use my radio I'm paying Xfinity for internet access ($70/month). Radio is the only reason to need a modem/router everything else works fine on wifi. I have no access to the free wifi, it's an HOA perk. Using win11....tried an ethernet to ethernet connection but radio not found.......while using ethernet I'd also like to have the pc use the free wifi (at the same item) is any of this possible? Is there another solution? I'd rather use the $70/month for radio gear rather than give it to Xfinity. Thanks

Answers

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Steve

Yes, it is possible.

Flex, for local use, does not need an Internet Service. You can cancel.

Your computer should have an ethernet, RJ45 port. Conneced a ethernet cable between this port and your radio. This sets up your Flex Radio direct connection.

For the HOA wifi, on your computer's WiFi connection. Select and sign into the HOA WifI. This sets up the HOA WiFi.

The Flex Radio direct connection is working independent from the HOA WiFI.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    Options

Allan tried exactly that but no joy.......SDR message is can't find a radio

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It should work.

Suggest you open a help ticket with Flex. They can walk you thru the setup, or diagnose the reason it is not working.

Alan. WA9WUD

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Steve, if the direct connect does not work, I would submit a help desk ticket.

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    Options

Alan...Len...thanks 73

• Ha Gei
    Ha Gei Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

I think you need to setup a router, even if NOT connected to outside, or install a DHCP Server program on your PC. The Flex Box tries to get an IP Adress , once it has one and is accessible, you can set for permanent fixed adress , and also set up your PC for same adress range. Otherwise, i don´t think it works.

Mayyybe , it is enough to set the PC adress as fixed , but i cannot imagine how the flex gets the adress then..

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

No, the Flex and PC use a default network address when plugged directly together. No router is required in this case.

Steve, you may need to reboot both the computer and radio when connecting directly.

• Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Problem may be that you're asking Windows to have two different network identities at the same time. I believe this can be done with some fancy setup, but your PC may need 2 Ethernet jacks.

73 / GL Martin AA6E

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Nothing fancy required for two Network Interfaces.

Each Network interface will request an IP address from the router's DHCP server, or if no DHCP Server is found, fail to a default IP.

The HOA WiFi Network Interface will negotiate a IP address from the HOA router' DHCP server.

The Flex, Direct Connect will negotiate an IP from the PC, after it does not see a DHCP server, elsewhere.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I should add, each Network Interface has its own, unique "identity".

Look at the list of NIT (Network Interfaces" for your PC, you will see each has a unique MAC address (its identity).

Alan. WA9WUD

• Steve Belcak
    Steve Belcak Member ✭✭
    Options

Did as all suggested.......connection to radio is fine....connection of PC to wifi working as well......next test will be to see what I can and can't do.

Thanks for the help

Steve

• bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I connect my 6600, PGXL, Tunner Genius and computer to a simple non managed switch. GS108 as I recall.

Just plugged in ethernet cables and station works with very low latency, 1 ms.

I also plug the ethernet switch power into a UPS.

Bill Ahillen

W9JJB

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.