Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Antenna Genius 2x8 with two different radios

Options
K4QXX
K4QXX Member ✭✭

I have been using a 1x8 antenna genius for several years. I just purchased a 2x8 genius with the hopes of being able to use it with two different radios. It works fine with the flex on port A but I can't seem to get it to work with port B. I just want to be able to manually select port B to be able to use my backup radio. I just can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong but I can't get port B to work. Any idea?

Burch

K4QXX

Comments

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Burch,

I have used my 2x8 AG with one 6700 on Port A and a different 6700 on port B at the same time. What two radios are you using?

Bill, AB7AA

• K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭
    Options

I would like to use the it with a Hermes Lite 2 and also a Yaesu FTdx10. It works great with my Flex 6700 on port A but I want to get one of my back up radios setup on port B. I don't care about automatic band switching but would just like to be able to select the antenna manually on port B with whichever radio I have connected to port B. I can manully select antennas if I put my hermes or Yaesu on port A (after unhooking the Flex) but I can't get port B to work at all.

Burch

K4QXX

• Bill AB7AA
    Bill AB7AA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I've never tried it with anything other than a Flex radio as that is specifically what it was designed for. At least that is all that is in the Settings>Configure FlexRadio(s) drop down box. Given that, it might not produce a Port B manual selection without it being configured. If you configure it for the other half of your 6700, you'll probably have to live with any band/antennas that it selects. To fool it, you'll have provide some multiple antenna selections for all bands and then manually select from those. Follow me?

Bill AB7AA

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

In the antenna configuration, just select None along with bands that antenna port will be used for. Selecting None and setting dip switches for second port to BCD (with no NCD connected$ will allow you to manually select those ports (providing not in use by port A).

Also make sure to not have CAT or Flex selected for port B.

Dave wo2x

Flex Radio Presale Support

• K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭
    Options

I can get my non Flex radio to work fine with the 8x2 but only on port A. I can't get any radio to work on Port B. I tried putting a ticket in to 4O3A but I keep getting an error when putting in a ticket.

• K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭
    Options

Just can't make port B on the 8x2 work. I have the Flex setup on port B. Here is a screenshot of the settings. Am I doing something wrong?

Am I missing a setting somewhere?

K4QXX

• K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

I think I figured out the problem, although I still can't get the Flex to work on port B.

I orginally had a 1x8 antenna genius. I had to change the setting to SO2R and now I see both ports on the software. The AG will follow the Flex when I change bands (as long as I use Port A) but I can manually select the antennas for my Hermes Lite 2 or Yaesu radios on port B.

K4QXX

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

were you using Flex Ant2 when trying to use the AG with Flex on port B. Also when switching antennas on the Flex, change TX ant first, then RX ant.

Dave wo2x

• K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭
    Options

Maybe that is why I was having some of the issue. I had antenna port 1 on flex going to B on the 8x2.

It is working perfectly now. I have Ant1 of flex going to Port A and my Hermes Lite 2 going in to Port B. The Flex will auto switch antennas and I can manually select the antenna ports on Port B for the Hermes or Yaesu. No more hooking and unhooking coax to go between the two radios.

Now if I could just get my Yaesu to talk to my PGXL, life would be good. Yaesu is my main backup radio when not playing with the Hermes Lite 2.

Burch

K4QXX

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Yaesu to PG XL uses a straight through female to female RS232 cable for radios with the RS232 port.

I have tested my amp with a borrowed FTdx-10. The newer radios use Yaesu 2 protocol.

Dave wo2x

• K4QXX
    K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options

I have tried using the straight through serial cable but had no luck. However, there has since been a PGXL firmware update so I will give it a try again.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Yes, use the latest firmware posted on Flex’s site. Previous version had an issue parsing Yaesu frequency.

Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.