Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Fuse & SD Card - Next Hardware generation - Locate them on the back of the radio

Options
Al_NN4ZZ
Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭

NEXT Hardware Generation idea -- Both of these items could be located where the user could access them easily. On my 6700 the fuse could be reached pretty easily after removing the cover. On my newer 6600 that is not the case. The 6600 manual says:

“Just remove the top cover and it’s right by the powerpole connector”. Except the filter board covers it!  It is not easy to get to the fuse and generally not recommended to try.

I had low voltage lockup problems on my 6700 and although the fuse was fine, the cause was corrosion on the fuse holder. No sure if anyone has seen that on the 6600 but it won't be easy for a user to check and correct.

An SD Card holder for the back panel could be similar to the way SIM cards are accessible on your mobile phone. Theoretically most of the corrupt SD card problems have been fixed but I still see users reporting the issue. Having the SD Card easily accessible would provide some insurance if that memory bug ever comes back.

IDEA: How about making both the FUSE and SD CARD easily accessible from the rear panel. It may not be easy to add this feature to the current hardware ( 6400, 6600) but it would be a great improvement for the NEXT generation. I'd pay the additional cost if it was an option on the existing hardware as well.

This change would make is easy for users to troubleshoot and replace both the fuse and SD Card. The change would reduce radio down time, shipping costs, and reduce support staff work load.

Thoughts?

Would you support this idea?

Do you think an extra $50 is worth adding to a $2K or $3k radio?

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

10 votes

In Review · Last Updated

Comments

• johnn1jm
    johnn1jm Member ✭✭
    Options

Good idea.

John N1JM

• KF6JS
    KF6JS Member ✭✭
    Options

GREAT idea!

This type of hardware should always be easily accessible on any equipment. Especially fuses - there are too many option for external fuse holders. Additionally, the SD card could be secured behind a removable panel.

And yes, a $50 bump for these features is well worth it on equipment of this type…..

KF6JS - Tony

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.