Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Ham Radio Deluxe

Options
Hi I am new to Flex radio I own a 6400 and would like to know if Ham radio deluxe connects to the 6400 with a USB cable or does it connect through the home network or smart SDR ?

Thank you

Best Answers

• K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Slice Master can act as a bridge to connect your HRD programs to your radio. With Slice Master there's no need to run HRD Rig Control at all. HRD Logbook can connect to Slice Master instead.

The Slice Master zip file contains a document describing how to connect HRD Logbook. DM780 configuration is handled entirely by Slice Master and required just a button press to get it going on any of your slices.

--Don

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Does this Slice master work with N3JFP too ? I have both HRD & N3JFP that I used with my Icom 7300 and 9700 but with those I had to use a USB data cable. Where do I get the slice master from ?

Thanks
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I should have added that audio interfacing is through the SmartSDR DAX program. It, along with CAT, will start automatically with SmartSDR. Look for the icons in the task bar.

73, Craig KØCF

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    So no need to purchase a Trip lite USB type A (Male) data cable if I understand you right. SECOND what is the two USB ports used for below the Ethernet port ? And the accessory port that looks like a serial port used for ?

Thank you.
  • Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The USB ports on the back of the Flex are for controlling hardware like antenna switches, linear amplifiers and antenna tuners. The have no capability to receive data from the devices they are connected to.

So, you are correct that the USB cable will be of no use.

The accessory connector is provided for audio, CW key and other connections. You should get on the FlexRadio website, click on "Support" near the top of the page and select "Documentation" in the window that opens. All of the documents, software upgrades and much more is available for download here. In particular, look for the Flex 6400 & 6600 Hardware Reference Manual.

Also, Google will find most of the information if you phrase the query carefully.

73, Craig KØCF

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Answer ✓
    Options

RE your question about N3FJP; It connects via Ethernet, so there is very little setup to get it working with Flex. It doesn't need Slicemaster, but coexists with it very well.

On the rig interface page select Flex API and click the test button. It should your current frequency.

Answers

• Craig_KØCF
    Craig_KØCF Member ✭✭✭
    Options

With SmartSDR, no USB cables are used nor supported. The com ports are provided by SmartSDR CAT. See the SmartSDR User Guide for basic information, but there is also a dedicated CAT User Guide as well. Basically SmartSDR CAT provides virtual, numbered COM ports which other software connects to exactly as if it were a hardware port from a USB cable. Ports are provided for CAT, PTT and WinKeyer emulator.

That is one of the great advantages of Flex radios: NO hardware cables or boxes are required to interface into a wide variety of software, e.g. WSJT-X for FT8 or MMTTY for RTTY or logging software like DXLab, HRD or N3FJP.

73, Craig KØCF

• KG5PTE
    KG5PTE Member ✭✭
    edited July 2023
    Options
    Thank you for this information. I did hook up a powered speaker as shown in the quick setup guide. And yes I am looking for links to manuals for the FLEX 6400 (Not the M model) T download and read. I love reading manuals. I always do this before I start using new equipment.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.