Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Maestro/6600M 1 way communication over LAN

Options
Sandor
Sandor Member ✭✭

PREFACE: I am, at best, an appliance operator when it comes to networking, routers and modems.

Background: 6600M direct connect to Maestro via an ethernet switch works great, all be it with multiflex, which is not what I wanted.

The Problem: using a seperate ethernet port on my modem (Viasat Wireless Gateway) or wireless I have 1 way communication between the Maestro and the 6600M having to use multiflex (whole other issue). The Maestro keys the radio, TUNE works, I have TX audio. All this is verified on air. There is no panadapter or RX audio coming from the radio.

Reboots, cold boots, have not worked.

Sandor KG4FET

Comments

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sandor

Your ethernet connections are just fine.

First, you are MultiFlex on the PC because you share the radio with the front panel of the 6600M. I do not own a 6600M, but there is a setting on the 6600M front panel, Menu Button, and Radio....to set the Front panel to not auto-connect. Could you find this and change it? (help here from other 6600M owners).

Now, the "one-way" connection. From your description, your Maestro is in the "SmartControl" mode. This mode allows the Maestro to control the GUI Client, in this case, the front panel of your 6600M, but does not show the Panadapter.....just as you describe.

To change the Maestro mode:

• Disconnect the Maestro from the Flex as if you were shutting it down.
    • Start up the Maestro as usual, but after you connect the Maestro to the Flex 6600M Radio, you will see two options, "Run" and "SmartControl." Select "Run" for the Maestro to be its own independent GUI Client (I think this is what you want). If you select "SmartControl," the Maestro will control the 6600M Front panel but will not show the Panadapter.

Alan. WA9WUD

• Sandor
    Sandor Member ✭✭
    Options

I cannot find the "do not auto connect" setting on the rig. I checked under radio and front panel menus.

RE: Smart Control I am not using Smart Control on sign in on the Maestro I always click RUN (3.4.24). I read somewhere in one of the setup guides or user guides to never use smart control with the Maestro. that may be one of the few things I retained in all of this reading...lol

Thanks

Sandor

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Sandor, SmartControl is one of the best features of the Maestro or M series. You get the best of both worlds; Large screen and mouse control of SmartSDR coupled with the knobs and buttons of the Maestro or front panel. When using SmartControl, you will not be in MultiFlex mode. The knobs and buttons will operate on the same slices presented in SmartSDR.

When in MultiFlex mode, the concept is for two operators to be able to operate the radio (mostly) independently. SmartControl is designed to give one operator two ways to control the radio at the same time.

There is no reason not to try SmartControl to see if it is for you.

• Sandor
    Sandor Member ✭✭
    Options

Len,

I do use it with SSDR when bring it up. There was caution about using it with the Maestro read somewhere.

Sandor KG4FET

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Sandor, check out SmartControl in the manual. They would not have it if it wasn't to be used.

• Sandor
    Sandor Member ✭✭
    Options

Len,

I did get Smart Control to work on the Maestro and that did leave me with a single client connected BUT the 1 way communication is still an issue. I cannot get past that, and trying to talk to "Tech Support" at Viasat is pointless. You get a call center and the english as a 5th language person only knows what the computer spits back out at him/her.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

From the front of the radio when it is working, tap Menu and Network. What is the front panel and radio IP?

From the Maestro, check the Maestro IP.

Let us know the results. They should all be on the same subnet. Even though Viasat said both Ethernet ports will work, maybe they are on different subnets or are both public IPs.

Dave wo2x

• Sandor
    Sandor Member ✭✭
    Options

Dave,

I do get Client connected 192.168.1.1 flash on the radio face when the Maestro connects.

Radio (6600M) has 2 addresses

Front panel Ethernet IP 192.168.1.145

Radio IP 192.168.1.147

Maestro WiFi IP 192.168.1.130 (current connection)

and the Maestro agrees with the radio IP under network

Does this cover what you needed to know?

• AA1SS
    AA1SS Member ✭✭
    Options

I was never able to get a proper connection via Viasat when I had it. We actually sold house and moved partially because of their **** service.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2023
    Options

The only other thing you could try is you mentioned the radio & computer are run with a cable to one port of the Viasat and the Maestro is in the other port. If you have access to an Ethernet switch, try connecting the Viasat port the radio is on to the switch. Then plug in the cable from radio and also cable from Maestro into the switch.

last, if that does not work, open a Help Desk ticket.

Dave wo2x

• Sandor
    Sandor Member ✭✭
    Options

Dave THAT set up works just fine BUT that leaves me tethered to the switch and that's OK if want operation in just one room but not if I want to go sit on the porch or watch the grandkids play outside. Thank you, you have spent a fair amount of time helping me out in my early adventures with the 6600M

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

Ok, it is getting someplace. How was the maestro connected when it didn’t work?

• Sandor
    Sandor Member ✭✭
    Options

Dave when connected via wireless or second ethernet port on the router/modem the Maestro sends to the radio but radio isn't or can't send back.

New, very weird, thing showed up last night but didn't dawn on me until this morning. Smart CAT connects to KG4FET (radio name on the LAN). There is no connection but wireless that that can happen over. Computer is connected wirelessly to the router/modem and no physical connection to the radio what so ever.

I discovered this by accident. Brought the logging program up (Winlog 32) that is set up to use omnirig on SCAT port 10 andi it connected showing frequency. I have mode control on the radio, freq never changed via omni rig but if I use the VFO A control WL32 reads the change.

I am beginning to think this whole issue is conflicts but shutting down the shack desktop did not resolve the issue

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

I would open a support ticket.

Also you can export your profiles then try resetting radio (with radio off, push power button and hold it until button goes white).

To do a cold boot of Maestro, while it is powered on, hold the power button. Continue to hold it until all lights go out.

Then power up radio and then Maestro. Try it and see if it works. Make sure it is on the same LAN as your radio.

Dave

• Sandor
    Sandor Member ✭✭
    Options

Dave I have decided to give up going through the Viasat system. I am getting a second router I can set up just for the Flex. I did the reset/cold boot Sunday. It didn't help. The second router gives me options the Viasat does not. Thanks to everyone who tried to help

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sander

I'm sorry if you already know this.

When using a "second" router, be sure to set the ISP provider's router (Viasat in your case) to the "Bridge" mode.

Doing so will prevent you from having a "double NAT" firewall, preventing Flex Smart Link from working. (and other problems with your internet connection).

Alan. WA9WUD

• Sandor
    Sandor Member ✭✭
    Options

Alan odds are Smartlink won't work due the latency, pretty sure 679 ms pings will be hard to overcome and I don't plan to operate outside the LAN at this time. The intention was to use the new router as the LAN for the Flex system with internet access and according to the Viasat LAN Setup page this should be feasible without messing with the rest of the families connections. That is the hope anyway

• Alan
    Alan Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sander

Respectively:

I have been following your string for some time now. Lots have tried to help you.

Now my two cents...again.

Adding a second router adds more complexity to your system, and unless the problem is related to the firewall between your LAN and the WAN, which you say you are not using, it is not advisable.

Dave recommended you open a help ticket with Flex Radio....this is your best next course of action.

Alan WA9WUD

• David Decoons, wo2x
    Options

The second router will work for non-SmartLink operation. I do not know if Viasat even uses a public IP on the WAN side.

Make sure all your equipment is on the LAN side of the new router. As Alan stated, if Viasat can put their equipment in bridge mode, that is preferable. Not only for possible SmartLink but the Viasat subnet is 192.168.1.x The new router may use the same subnet as a default which would cause issues.

Dave wo2x

• Sandor
    Sandor Member ✭✭
    Options

RESOLVED! added a router (Netgear Nighthawk AC750 R6020) and set up a LAN on it. I do have internet access and I did not disturb any other connections on the Viasat modem/router. Turned on the Maestro and success! I double check to see if the grand daughter device connects too and it does. Thanks to everyone that tried to help

Sandor KG4FET

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.