Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Upgrade From 6500 to New Radios?

Question. I have one of the original Flex 6500 running 2.X SW. If I were to upgrade to the newer 6400 or 6600 would I see a significant difference in performance? I'm very happy with my current radio, but you always wonder what the newest does better.

Comments

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭

6600 has 2 spectral capture units. Can monitor 2 antennas simultaneously. Also has excellent contest-level filtering and 2 transverter ports.

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭

I upgraded from a 6500 to a 6600M. The controls and the ability to connect a monitor were the big pluses for me, but that came from the "M" part of the change. As for the radios, It is nice to be able to use two antennas at the same time. I haven't noticed the advantage that contest-level filtering supplies since it was excellent in the 6500 already. The two transverter ports and two receive antenna inputs are nice, however, you sacrifice the receive antenna loop that the 6500 has. I don't detect any significant performance differences between the two. One advantage of the 6600 and 6400 models over the earlier models is the availability of parts for repairs if problems occur.

• John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭

The disadvantage of the newer radios is the size of the box. Much bigger and mostly empty space. The size is so the M models can have the maestro attached.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.