Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Will AG enable a single HF amp to switch among two antennas on 6600M?

Options
N7WRH
N7WRH Member ✭✭

Before I purchas an AG I want to be sure it will enable me to share a single HF amp between two antennas I have attached to a 6600M. I've not found a post that clearly states this can be done and how. Thanks!

Wade

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

There are two antenna Genius switches that Flex carries.

The 2x8 switch has two inputs (Ant1 and Ant2 of 6600 or two different radios. This would allow connection of any two of up to 8 antennas to be connected to your 6600 at any time. Let’s say you have a triband for 10,15,20, a 30 meter dipole, and a 40 meter vertical. You could have one slice using the Yagi on 10 meters while a second slice is on 40 on the vertical. For those people with many antennas, you can stack up to four 2x8 AGs for 2x32 antenna matrix.

There is also a 1x8 Antenna Genius which has one input from the radio and up to 8 antennas out.

Both can be programmed to select antenna based on radio band. Flex uses LAN control, but they also support BCD and pin to band for other transceivers.

Dave wo2x

• N7WRH
    N7WRH Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, David. I don't see mention of sharing one amp which was the question. I currently have a SmallIR and Baby Loop attached to the 6600M but only one KPA500 amp that I want to easily swap between antennas.

Wade

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Wade, do you also have a KAT500 tuner? If so, you can switch among 3 antennas using the tuner.

If not, then either the 2 x 8 or 1 x 8 Antenna Genius would do what you want, as mentioned by Dave. The Flex connects to the amp, the amp connects to the AG, and each antenna connects to a port on the AG.

With only one amp, I assume that you are not planning on SO2R operation.

• N7WRH
    N7WRH Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, Len. I do have the KAT500 but it's currently not in line. Probably should have clarified that I want to retain SO2R on the radio but with the ability to switch the single amp in to either of two antennas as needed for TX. I think this will do the trick:

1 Amplifier 2 Radios Switch | 1A2R (4o3a.com)

Wade

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    Options

Hi Wade, yep, that looks like the right switch for your operation.

• N7WRH
    N7WRH Member ✭✭
    Options

To circle back, I got this arrangement working with the 1A2R and it's great!

SteppIR vert and Midi Loop share KPA500 through 6600M (RCA TX1 and TX2, respectively). Also using RCA TX Req to trip SteppIR SDA2000 so radio doesn't xmit when ant is tuning/spooling.

What a great setup!

Wade

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.