Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

CW Keying with Internal Keyer Question/Settings?

Hello All.

I've been lurking and just really getting into using my 6700 after finally erecting an antenna. Loving it!

My question is regarding settings for CW and the internal keyer. I have recently acquired a Begali Leonessa and had been chalking up my poor keying (dropped dits and dahs, weird delays) to getting used to it and getting it set up right. Switched to my old standby Iambics, and they do the same thing. Doesn't matter which speed, it all acts the same.

Is there a setting I can't seem to find to adjust, or any known issues with the internal keyer for the 6700?

Thanks for any help.
73/72
Jeff - VE3CW

Answers

• KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Jeff, there are some known CW issues. What version of the radio are you running? I am on 3.4.23 and find that running 150 ms CW delay keeps my keying clean. It is hard to say this with certainty, as I am a casual CW operator. The little contesting that I do has not resulted in many requests for fills, so I am taking the leap of faith that my CW is generally OK.

That Leonessa really looks good! I have a Begali Simplex and really love how it feels.

• ve3cw
    ve3cw Member ✭✭
    I am running 3.4.21, I adjusted to 150ms CW delay, but seem to still have the same issues. For example, if I hold down the dah paddle - I get a string of dahs, but every now and again, one is delayed - or longer than the others. I may have to dig out a standalone keyer and give it a try for the input - but that probably won't be until after Dayton.

I dug out my Elecraft KX3 and confirmed that my keys are all adjusted and working 100%.

Single lever keying is new to me - but I feel it better suits me than Iambic (I was a hybrid Iambic keyer at best).
    Thanks
    73/72
    Jeff - VE3CW
  • KD0RC
    KD0RC Member, Super Elmer Moderator

Hi Jeff, I would try upgrading to 3.4.23. I am not sure if the issue is fixed in this release, but it seems to work OK for me. I am using a 6400, so that may be part of it as well.

• ve3cw
    ve3cw Member ✭✭

I found an old external keyer, disabled the internal keyer, and all is running beautifully now with any of my keys.

73/72

Jeff - VE3CW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.